Should I try this again?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

About 5 years ago a friend gave me an old bullet shaped water smoker. Pretty basic. After 4 or 5 attempts at smoking I gave up. This was several years ago. I had a real difficult time getting and keeping the heat at the minimum temp, trying to add charcoal was difficult due to the small opening at the bottom. Even trying to get the door up and down proved difficult. By the time the food was done I kind of lost my desire to enjoy it.

I am thinking of trying it again and was considering an offset smoker. That is until I read some of the issues with those. I have read rave reviews about the WSM and am wondering if it is different than the old "free" smoker I had or just more of the same only more expensive. Can anyone give me their experiences with the WSM? Thanks.

Tom

You are one of the lucky ones ! You'll have the opportunity to appreciate the difference between just another cheap water smoker and a WSM. It's all about temp control and stability. I haven't heard of anything that equals or exceeds the WSM in this regard. The suport from this site, itself, is a huge factor. Can this many people really be that far off ?

You'll never regret the move if you make it.

Paul

The WSM is everything people claim it to be. Trying to compare its use with the one you are familiar with is like comparing apples and brake shoes.

Of course, trying to stop a car with apples instead of brake shoes is pretty much useless, as well.

Try this: Take one hour to browse the links (the tabs) at the top of the page and read a few dozen threads here in the forum. I think your answer will be clear.

BBQ and Smoking are not "easy". To me it's a bit of a hobby. If you just don't like to tinker, even getting a WSM won't get you to like doing this. If you want a very good chance at not having too much trouble and a very good chance at eating some good food, try again using a WSM. Usually, you don't even have to add more charcoal and temp control is almost automatic if you use water and a full ring of fire.

I had a cheapie bullet smoker, also free. There's no comparison to the WSM and one big difference is temperature comtrol. WSM is far superior due in large part to tight seals.

I finally left the old smoker at my curb in disgust.

I have a cheap electric -"ECB" another cheap charcoal ECB, and now a WSM. I had some success with the cheap charcoal model, but the temp control was terrible, so was the food at times. Well maybe the food wasnt "terrible", but not what I had hoped. The WSM makes Qing so much easier, I could use it every week if I had the time. I am happy with my purchase of the WSM, but I agree with Jerry N, if you dont like to tinker, this might not be for you.

I am a convert, too. Had the Brinkman and thought the offset smokers looked really cool. After reading info here decided on the WSM. Everyone in the family is glad I did it. It works so much better than the other brand that there really is no comparison.

If the choice is between an offset and a WSM the WSM wins. Much easier to use, and the Q will be great!
I am wondering...I have always been a lover of good food and drink. I have been the cook in my family for over 16 years. I use the WSM not only to make great Q but to me it is a relaxing way to enjoy a day off. I also enjoy sharing good Q with friends and family. I think many here are also foodies and good cooks. Do you feel like this sounds like you? Then IMO the WSM is a great choice.

I have to agree with Steve Hilmer and Jerry N. If you don't enjoy cooking and food preparation and don't really like tinkering or experimenting, then this is not the hobby for you.
However, if you like trying different things, being challenged at times and don't mind occasionally screwing up then Qing with the WSM is absolutely the way to go. I had a propane ECB and although I didn't have temperature problems, it just wasn't satisfying. I also was considering an offset, but after doing a lot of research and spending time on this site, which is great BTW, I purchased a WSM and have never regretted it. There is lots of great information here and everyone is so friendly and willing to help, that its almost like an extended family.
Of course its your decision, but I don't think for $179. it shouldn't be a hard decision to make. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back