Should I restore it? Or throw it away?

Howard Warren

TVWBB Fan
I have a new Weber score... 22.5" kettle... FREE. It was left behind at a house I bought (I own rentals.) I'm debating whether I want to spend the money to buy parts and fix it up. One serious issue is that I don't know the specific model number and I'm hoping the collective expertise here can help me!

The paint is DEFINITELY sun faded.

smoker.jpg

The handles are (well... were...) wood.

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

wood3.jpg

The grills are gone. The ash cleaning vanes are long gone. I've dug into the ash and nothing is there. The hub is rusted solid.

kettle.jpg

I can purchase a 22.5 OTG for $149 locally. So... should I put the money into restoring this one? I have a number of thoughts here:

1. I use a Cajun Bandit extender with my other 22.5 OTG to make a poor man's WSM. But I'd like to have the grill function too. Maybe I can turn the "restore" kettle into my poor man's WSM.
  2. I'm not sure what model number Weber this one is. The wood handles indicate it's an old model. The degree of rot indicates a VERY old model.
  3. The whole issue with the cleaning vanes. The blades are missing and the hub is rusted solid. It may be better to simply seal off the lower bowl and drill holes for a damper.

What are the group's thoughts? Thanks!

EI is a date code and puts it at 1997. Does that have the one touch system or the 3 wheel dampers on the bottom? Either way, it's really an easy and inexpensive fix. I would put it back in service.

I would rehab it. looks in purty good shape actually. just use some dowels to make handles to save bucks. it will still cook great.

It's looks like a 22.5" Silver

Easy fix, Zep oven cleaner ($4) for the inside, clean off rust, then repaint gloss black grill rustoleum ($6).. make wood handles is you like.. New Grates are $20 for top and $10 for the bottom.. Home Depot prices

or you can sale it as is for $25 on CL.. someone will buy it

It has the one-touch system. This weekend I'll excavate out the ashes and clean it some more.

Thinking ahead towards converting it to a smoker, what are my options for permanently closing up the one-touch slots? I know I could buy the one-touch vanes, but I would have to cut/drill out the center hub, and I don't know how bad it is yet. Are there other options to permanently close the slots?

Back