Should I clean and refurbish my older performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Johnson

Have a late ninties performer that has no rust but seems to be just tired. Ash bucket is a challage to remove and dump as well as the one touch works sometimes and not others. Should I just clean and replace some parts or go with a new one??????

Bob J

Refurbish! The older ones are great. Yeah, the ash catchers are not as sturdy, good as the new ones. I did order that support brace that runs across the ring, Weber has those in stock. The parts are really pretty inexpensive. Take it apart and clean her up. You will see most is just dirt that needs a wipe down, Get a new ash sweeper for it, clean the inside of the bowl, it will clean much better. Get a diagrahm manual from webers sitem they have every piece listed. Refurbish...all the way. The new ones lack character. I could not stop on mine, actually got new Stainless steel door, and the other piece by the bowl. I spent a toal of 125 or so on parts, and got alot. Looks brand new

the stamp code on the lid damper is what you would look for. It should say "EE" or something similar. An actual S/N there was a sticker on the bottom rail by the gas bottle. But for parts You shouldnt need that. A late 90's performer should get you by. What color is yours? Any pics?

I spoke with Weber CS yesterday, and the gentleman indicated that all parts are available for the Performer except the ash ring which secures with the cross-bar, and the two cross supports and wire basket on the bottom of the cart.

I say refurbish.
icon_smile.gif

For the ash catcher ring, I got the one for the new model Performer and modified the "leg" stubs on the bottom of the grill to accept the "tabs" used to secure the new model ash catcher ring.

The new ring attaches but pressing a "tab" into a slot cut into the leg stubs on the bottom of the grill.

The old model Performers (the ones that used the bar) didn't have this slot cut into those leg stubs. One of the problems with the old model Performer/Ash Catcher Ring assembly was that the ask dropped onto the bar and it tended to rust.

I used a Dremmel tool and cutting wheel to cut a slot into the leg stubs on the bottom of my vintage Performer and the "new" model ash catcher ring attaches to the grill just like on the new models!

It was a quick and easy mod.

Pat

In looking at my records my performer was made in 2003. My ash catcher has no rust but just works with difficulty as I have to kneel down and help it off and on. With a thorough cleaning I will check to see if it needs replaceing or just tweeking. I think I will need a new ignition system as I was having problems with that also. Are thet expensive ????

Bob J

I ordered an igniter from weber for my performer $10. Your ash catchers sweeper inside the bowl probe just needs a good cleaning. Get a scrub brush, hose and simple green. If its rusted or bent..a replacement is fairly cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back