Shopping in New Haven, CT

Benny L.

TVWBB Fan
Hi Gang-

I just completed a big move from Dallas, TX to New Haven, CT. I know I've seen a handful of users with locations in the general area, and I was hoping some of you might help with some suggestions on good places to shop.

I'm mainly looking for a good general grocery store, and particularly for a good meat source. In my immediate area there is an A&P (not the greatest), an Aldi (which was... different), and a Super Wal-Mart. I have a strong preference not to do my main shopping at Wal-Mart, but they did have the best selection across the board than the others. I don't mind a bit of a drive to find a good overall store.

I haven't been there yet, but for meats I have heard of Ferraro's.

Any tips on smoke wood? I've found Hickory & Mesquite as usual, and I have a buddy who lives on an Apple orchard so I have a source for that, but I'd like to find some Cherry, Oak, Alder, etc. I was spoiled having some of the few remaining U.S. locations of BBQs Galore in Dallas.

Any other tips on food shopping and/or smoking/grilling supplies? Thanks in advance!!

EDIT: P.S. I am used to driving pretty good distances for specialty items. If there's a place worth knowing within an hour of New Haven, I'm game. (I already located the Penzey's up in Hartford, for example...)

I'm in New Milford, CT which is about an hour NW of you. I've got some pretty good options around here. For general groceries we've got Big Y and Stop & Shop here in New Milford (both are pretty good) as well as ShopRite (very good) down in Brookfield. We also have Costco and Stew Leonards (different, but very good) down in Danbury.

A couple places I haven't been to yet but have heard good things about is Antonelli's Meat Market in Waterbury and Caraluzzi's Market in Newtown.

Benny, Ferraro's is Great! Fresh Butts they have their own Farm and raise all there all meat. There is " Boobby " that stands up in the back of the store and " makes deals" on what you buy. Tell him in advance that you are looking for CAB Brisket and they will get it for you. " Stew Leonards " is in Newington which is Great too $$$$ It's an all day Affair and bring the Kids. One thing about Ferraro's it's in the Middle of the Projects so park in the back near the owners Mercedes and look like your Crazy. The carriages don't go past the front door! Penzy's is 35min from you South in Westport Exit 15 off 95. BTW For all this info you better come up 15min to me in Wallingford and teach me the Texas Brisket.

Thanks Bill good post! Either Bill or Vinny will be in the back cutting deals. One thing I love bout Ferraro's is that although the projects are across the street you get EVERYBODY shopping there. In 30 years of doing weekly buissness with them I have NEVER had any kind of problem...

Coarse maybe I look crazy?!?
icon_razz.gif

i had no idea there was a Penzey's in West hartford! i drive thru west hartford center all the time and i never even noticed...i usually go to the spice mill in manchester for spices and bogner's for meat (sometimes the restaurant depot)

Rob

I don't want to High Jack the thread but: Rob, What do you think of the Spice Mill in Manchester? I haven't been but I thought about going. Prices seem good but what about quality?

Hey Benny welcome to New England
Sounds like Ferraro's is pretty nice, I'll have to check it out sometime when I'm down that way
I live North of you in Portland and my favorite place to go is Meadow Meat in Middletown. It's basically a meat locker with butchers that can get pretty much anything for you.

they don't have a website but HERE is a link to some more info and reviews

Just thinking about New Haven makes me want to go to get some pizza. My favorites are Frank Pepe's or Modern Apizza and you can't go wrong with Sally's either

Originally posted by Marc:
I don't want to High Jack the thread but: Rob, What do you think of the Spice Mill in Manchester? I haven't been but I thought about going. Prices seem good but what about quality?

I was there just a couple of weeks ago. Everything I bought seems very fresh

i've been going to the spicemill for years, never had a problem. i go thru the staples (onion, garlic, paprika, pepper) pretty fast, so i don't usually have a fresh problem. a new bottle of anything there is quite fragrant, and if i'm looking for something they stock but isn't on the shelf they'll bottle it while you wait. i also like the grain size of the granulated stuff they have, it's probably the same size everwhere, but i've been going there for so long i can't remember anything else.

marc, whereabouts in ct are you from? sounds like all you guys need to make a visit to the quiet corner....

sorry about the thread hijack....

Rob

Back