Shopping for my first Weber gas

Jack Patteeuw

I was a confirmed charcoal guy, and Weber One Touch was my grill for many years. I still own 2, but they only see limited service since I got my first gas grill a couple of years ago.

It is a "store brand" that has served me well for 3 years, but I'm certain it is on it last legs and I have decided to go Weber this time.

I like the Genesis line, especially since they moved the controls on to the front.

My first question is, is S-310 worth the additional cost over the E-310 ? The flavorizer bars on my old grill lasted about 1-2 years and cost over $50 to replace. I also had to replace on grate because the porcelain broke off. Obviously these issues would not happen on the S-310.

Second, is the side burner worth the extra cost ? I never could get it to work right on my old grill, so I am very skeptical about paying extra for something I won't use.

Last, there are a lot of places selling what I would assume is "last years model" with the controls on the side. There is over $100 difference in price. Beside the front controls are there any pluses or minuses on the new versus old models ?

Jack - my two Genesis gassers have side controls so I can't comment on the difference. I will say that my Vermont Castings gasser - a nice grill that I picked up cheap from CL - has front controls and vertical burners but I really can't tell that much difference in the way the two grills cook.

My reason for commenting was to suggest you keep an eye on the Genesis prices at your local Lowes. Last year, they offered the current year Genesis E-310 for $399 - $300 off the list price. I didn't buy one and have wished ever since I had, even thought I didn't technically "NEED" another grill! (Ha!).

If they do the same thing this year, I will be loading one up in the back of the Explorer.

I don't think you can go wrong no matter which Genesis model you decide to purchase.

Pat

Check out the genesis EP-310 at Amazon or Ace Hardware. It is like the E-310 but has the stainless steel flavorizer bars and grates. I don't own it but am a huge fan of stainless steel now that I've had to replace my cast iron grates on my non-weber gasser a few times.

Definitely go for the EP series. It's a true sweet spot in the line. I'm a big fan of stainless steel innards, but didn't want to pay the premium for an SS exterior. The EP is the perfect compromise.

Regarding north/south vs east/west burner orientation, I'd say you're going to cook great meals on either. If the convenience of front knobs is worth $100, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, the only reason to go for a 2011 is if you're springing for the 330 with the new sear burner option. I have to admit I'm a big fan of that feature, even though I rarely use my side burner. To me, it was worth the extra $200 from the 310.

And don't get me wrong, I do use my side burner since I have it now!

My Weber Gasser is going on ten year. I got it at Homers because their model had heavy cast iron grates. I replaced the enameled flavorizor bars last year with new SS ones. Keep the grill covered between uses and even the enameled steel will last a good while.

As far as side burners go my last gasser had it, used it once just to say I did. I have not missed it.

had the side burner on a previous propane unit. As was said, I had to force myself to use it once, never after that.

It's too small and inconvenient when most all the other stuff is inside on the regular range (the "sous chef" is responsible for that and she needs more than one itsy bitsy burner).

Thanks for everyone's feedback, it is greatly appreciated ! More welcome !!

I have been doing a lot of shopping, mostly online. One big box store is still selling the "last years model" (controls on right hand horizontal work surface) at full prince. I did not see any "current model year" units with the controls on the front.

The best deals on line are for LMY, as much as $100-150 off CMY price.

I found one place on line where the CMY S-310 is only $38 more than the EP-310, so I'm leaning heavily in that direction.

I will probably pass on the side burn. I have made bacon in a cast iron pan on my old grill ! Probably not good at boiling a big pot of water !!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Jack Patteeuw:
I was a confirmed charcoal guy, and Weber One Touch was my grill for many years. I still own 2, but they only see limited service since I got my first gas grill a couple of years ago.

It is a "store brand" that has served me well for 3 years, but I'm certain it is on it last legs and I have decided to go Weber this time.

I like the Genesis line, especially since they moved the controls on to the front.

My first question is, is S-310 worth the additional cost over the E-310 ? The flavorizer bars on my old grill lasted about 1-2 years and cost over $50 to replace. I also had to replace on grate because the porcelain broke off. Obviously these issues would not happen on the S-310.

Second, is the side burner worth the extra cost ? I never could get it to work right on my old grill, so I am very skeptical about paying extra for something I won't use.

Last, there are a lot of places selling what I would assume is "last years model" with the controls on the side. There is over $100 difference in price. Beside the front controls are there any pluses or minuses on the new versus old models ?

I too had the same quandary. I ended up with a Weber (always Weber from now on) Spirit S-320. After 2 years + of use, I upgraded to the SS FB's and grates.

o8s6fm.jpg

Great results! Just my .02

Back