Shopping for a Gas Grill

Mike (Guff)

In May 2012 I dove in head first to smoking/BBQ and purchased an 18" WSM. I truly enjoy it and have done pulled pork, ribs, chicken, beef and even my Thanksgiving Turkey on it. I'm looking to replace the old Ducane built-in pedestal grill at my house. I did a rebuild about 7 years ago to get it functional, but it's getting harder to keep alive. I'm looking for some recommendations. I like the Genesis models, but uncertain which is the best way to go.

1. I have natural gas at my home, there is a current underground line from the house to the old Ducane. I could consider have it relocated to a hose connection with a shut off valve for use with the new grill or should I look to abandon it and get an LP grill instead?

2. The Genesis model comes in all Stainless Steel (S-310 or S-330) or Enamel (E-310 or E-330). It appears this is more than exterior coating as it also reflects on the grate materials as well. Which is recommended?

3. Lastly, the Genesis comes in 310 model or 330 model (with side burner and searing station). I'm not certain how often I'd use them, or is it one of those things that when spending this much for a quality grill it's worth the little extra for the 330 model to have the side burner and searing station available?

Although its probably hard to go very wrong no matter which of the Genesis models I purchase, I'd like to get the "right one" to last for many years to come.

Your thoughts are great appreciated.

Thanks,
Guff

I used to be in the "I don't need or want a side burner camp" until I got one. Now I have one on both my deck grills (old Genesis and Summit 450). In summer with so much cooking on the grills I find them both in use (the side burners) more times than I can count. As for the searing burner if I was replacing one of my units I would definitely go that way too. As for SS vs EP it's a personal thing. Neither is better

I would find the EP-330. You get the enamel which is easier to clean with the Stainless steel grates and bars which last forever. I have the E-310 and wish I had the side burner and sear station. The side burner would be great for lighting charcoal alone. As for LP vs NG, the NG is more convenient but from what I have read it is less efficient in burning and more costly to run. I like LP and just keep 2 tanks on hand. Either are a good choice.

As for LP vs NG, the NG is more convenient but from what I have read it is less efficient in burning and more costly to run.

Total BS. NG is no more or less "efficient" in and of itself. It burns and behaves the same. If you have 38k BTU it does not matter which fuel it uses. As for cost and convenience lets analyze. NG is there all the time. No need to burn gasoline, put wear and tear on your vehicle only for cooking fuel. In just about any area you care to mention cost per BTU of NG is FAR cheaper than LP

Definitely get an EP-330. For only $50 more than an E series, you get a lot more value inside. I don't like stainless hoods because they are a nuisance to maintain. The side burner is nice, but I would pay extra for a 330 for the sear burner alone. It makes it a VERY flexible grill. My only regret with my purchase is not getting NG. If you grill often, you will want the convenience of never having to swap tanks. I have 3 LP tanks and a Uhaul literally around the corner open 7 days a week and I still find propane quite inconvenient. And NG is almost half the cost per BTU.

Another vote for the EP330. I have never used the side burner, but the searing station makes a difference when you want to throw some heat onto a steak (or crank the heat for any high temp cook (pizza, etc).

You may be correct as to the efficencies between the two fuels. ONe thing I definitely can not argue is the convenience of NG over LP. I would also point out that while I love my Porcelain enameled grates I only expect to get about 6 or 7 years of use. I also only got about 3 years out of my bars. I know there is much longer life in the Stainless steel components.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I've got some time before I need to "pull the trigger" on a new grill. I'm adding a patio extension and getting some other work done first. But all this is very helpful information. As I said...just going Weber Genesis, I'm not sure a can go wrong regardless of which model I choose.

I'm also watching this one on craiglist: http://reading.craigslist.org/for/3787256341.html but I've told the seller I think his asking price of $875 is too high, as I can get a NEW one from Lowes for $100 more. I got him down a little in the price, but would love to get him down to the $500-600 range.

Hope to get more feedback, suggestions and recommendations in the days to come.

Thanks all!

The EP-330 is the way to go for sure. You'll have to find a dealer to get one, they don't carry them in the box stores. Love the stainless internals but hate a stainless exterior. Have the natural gas run to it also. I have this set up and wouldn't have it any other way!

That grill you showed from craigslist is a 2010 model which would make it 3yrs old. They started putting the knobs on the front of the grill in 2011, I know because I have one. It did not cost $1200 new. The SS-320 was $900 in 2010. If he paid $1200 he got ripped off bad.
My brother and I bought a 2011 SS-330 for our parents and paid $950.

Last edited:
The EP-330 is the way to go for sure. You'll have to find a dealer to get one, they don't carry them in the box stores. Love the stainless internals but hate a stainless exterior. Have the natural gas run to it also. I have this set up and wouldn't have it any other way!

That grill you showed from craigslist is a 2010 model which would make it 3yrs old. They started putting the knobs on the front of the grill in 2011, I know because I have one. It did not cost $1200 new. The SS-320 was $900 in 2010. If he paid $1200 he got ripped off bad.
My brother and I bought a 2011 SS-330 for our parents and paid $950.

Jeff is right I have that same grill minus the side burner, and mine is a 2007 I paid 700 and change for it new, SS looks pretty it is a little more to keep clean but not that bad. If I was buying today and knowing what I know of these grills I would go with the EP line and your favorite color and you will be very happy.
Kevin

Thanks for all the feedback! I didn't even realize Weber sold a model EP-330. I can't find it on their website. It does appear I can order online from someplace like Ace Hardware (with free delivery to store near me). So it's on the top of my list. I'm still keeping an eye on the S-320 that I posted above for sale on Craig's List. It's dropped in price from $875 to $795 and now down to $695. Maybe if I wait him out long enough I can get it for cheap!

A couple of things. I ran some calculations on NG vs propane and it does appear that while BTU per volume is better in propane cot per BTU is better for NG. Please also note the warranty on the Weber is to the original purchaser so I would consider buying new.

Back