She Bought Short Ribs - I need a table sauce

Brad Baker

TVWBB Fan
I haven't done short ribs yet. Last week She called me when She was at the meat counter.

She: "Do you want anything"?

Me: "Get some short ribs, but not the riblets they have in the case - get a four bone slab".

[She talks to the butcher person]

She: "He brought out a four bone rib roast. It's very expensive".

Me: "We don't want that. We want short ribs".

[more expanation - back and forth - jabbering occurs]

She: "Okay. He said 'I know what he wants.' and then he went in the back".
[pause here]
"He brought out package of four".

Me: "Buy 'em".

When I got home I found 19 lb of beef ribs, four slabs of four bones each in the freezer frozen rock solid in Cryovac. I tried to separate them but no joy. So tomorrow I am cooking 19 lb of beef ribs on a WSM18 - and I think I can make them all fit.

I'm going to do a Texas style 225F cook until done, using the Big Bad Beef Rub.

Now I need a table sauce. Meathead recommends something he calls Texas Barbecue Juice. She likes the KC sweet style and as far as I'm concerned She can get it out of the store bought bottle. For pork I like a Carolina vinegar style sauce but for beef - I don't know.

Any recommends?

I made a sauce for brisket once with this recipe. As you can see, it is on the vinegar side. I recommend making it at least a day in advance for it to smooth out.

1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Try #5 sauce.It's simple and easy and tastes great. I put that **** on everything
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any recommends? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep. Call all your friends. (That's a mess of ribs.)
icon_wink.gif

You got 19# of short ribs? I was expecting you to say you got back ribs.

PS I wouldn't be too pleased with the Meat Dept. if that was my store. Did the butcher really think your wife wanted almost 20 lbs of product? The days of knowledgeable--or, for that matter, existent--Meat Dept. assistance seem to be fading fast.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monty House:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any recommends? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep. Call all your friends. (That's a mess of ribs.)
icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Calls are out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You got 19# of short ribs? I was expecting you to say you got back ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cut them into two bone sections to fit in a six-slot rib rack with two leaned on each side.

P1000456.JPG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">PS I wouldn't be too pleased with the Meat Dept. if that was my store. Did the butcher really think your wife wanted almost 20 lbs of product? The days of knowledgeable--or, for that matter, existent--Meat Dept. assistance seem to be fading fast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I wanted to split them up and freeze half. By the time I got home they were a single block of ribs.

Ribs turned out great. I used two sauces (thanks Jeff). First time beef ribs for me, so can I expect this pull back everytime?

P1000459.JPG

Looks like a meal for Fred Flinstone
icon_smile.gif
. Did you make that sauce. Just wondering if it was as good as I remembered from my first time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff R:
Looks like a meal for Fred Flinstone
icon_smile.gif
. Did you make that sauce. Just wondering if it was as good as I remembered from my first time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We did use that sauce and it was as good as you remembered. I saved it as "Jeff's Brisket Sauce". The only mod I made was to use a Chipotle chili powder.

Wow, those look insanely good, and reminds me that I should get a rib stand for my 18.5". Any recommendations?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason U:
Wow, those look insanely good, and reminds me that I should get a rib stand for my 18.5". Any recommendations? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That was a gift, Charcoal Companion CC3096. It seems to work. The ribs wouldn't fit too well until the fat was trimmed. They were just too doggone thick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yianni:
those look great. how long did you cook them for? I think I am going to have to pick some up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Those were 4 hrs at 225F and then I kicked it up to 265F. The ribs were at temp at 12:30 and we were eating at 6:30. Some of the ones in the middle were a little chewier than I like. I'd probably leave them on a bit longer next time.

Nice! Thanks.. I have always done bb s around 5 hours every time.. those look a little thick Id like to have all the fat render.. cant wait to try some.

Back