SF East Bay Lazzari Oak Lump Charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark Stone

TVWBB Member
I recently hooked up with a guy in the SF East Bay (Walnut Creek) who purchased a pallet of Lazzari oak lump (40 lb. bags). The mesquite lump is prevalent around here, but the oak cannot usually be found retail. I bought three bags for grilling and I'll try it out in the WSM, also.

He has a few bags (5-6) left over what he wants for his own use that he's willing to sell at his cost ($12 per 40 lb. bag). If anyone is interested, drop me an email at dakotastone@ix.netcom.com and I'll hook you up with his contact info.

Clark

I use the Lazzari "Hardwood Lump" a lot. I like it, but I believe there is a fairly high content of mesquite it (mesquite DOES have a somewhat distinctive sparking characteristic that's hard to miss.....) That said, I usually drive up to Brisbane and purchase 200lbs at a time.

Oh, and you haven't seen it in retail stores because they don't sell it retail. You can only get it by purchasing in bulk (as you did) or by picking up at their site in Brisbane.

Cheers,
Rich G.

Some people mentioned it used to be available retail at Beverages and More-- I've never seen it, and the Lazzari gut said something like it "never took off" even though they've sold it for years.

I'll post my impressions on it sometime soon.

Clark

I bought some Lazzari oak lump in the 40 lb bags from a friend who got them straight from the Lazzari plant in Brisbane, CA. Previously I had been using mesquite in the WSM. There is a definite difference in lighting (no sparks), smoke, and final flavor. I like the oak.

Lazzari retails their 20 lb bags at BBQ Galore for about the same price as the 40 lb bags direct from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back