Setup of a Wireless Network without the Internet

Joel_T

Hi Everyone,
I just recently purchased a stoker and would like to use it wirelessly if possible. Can I setup a wireless network without having to involve using the Internet.

The reason is that i don't have the Internet available where I want to use the stoker. If I can besides a wireless computer what other equipment do I need?

I am not computer illiterate but not necessarily network savvy either.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.
If you have any questions please toss 'em at me. I need to get this puppy up and running.

Thanks, Joel

Welcome to the board Joel... Yep, Dwight is correct, you do not need Internet to use the Stoker wirelessly. You do need a wireless bridge (also called a game adapter) to connect the Stoker wirelessly to your wireless home network computers but an Internet connection is not necessary.

Of course if you want to have StokerLog send you emails you will need access to the Internet.

Where is Kay's Place Restaurant?

Hi Tom,
I thought a Bridge was a completely different animal than a wireless game adapter? Router I have, where is the best place to get a game adapter?

Kay's Place Restaurant is at I-90 & St Rt. 193 in Kingsville, Ohio. Its about 60 miles east of Cleveland. Just 8 miles from the PA line, which I live in PA.

Thanks again for the help.

Joel

I guess my question would be what do you want to do with the Stoker wireless? The configuration that others have mentioned would give you a wireless connection as long as you're on your home network or in other words you'll have to be connected to your home network, no port forwarding etc.

I bought my bridge on eBay for about $30 shipped. Its worked great, connects my Stoker to my home network. I tried using our Linksys wireless gaming adapter with zero luck, it was a piece of Schmidt.

Hi Joel, A wireless game adapter is just a wireless bridge but is being marketed for use with wired game consoles. Many folks successfully use game adapters with their Stokers. My bridge calls itself a Wireless Ethernet Converter. Wiki says the name wireless bridge is a colloquial term... a rose is a rose, as they say (though some of these are more Schmidt than rose!)

Google wireless bridge and you will find lots of them for sale. Search on eBay also. You might be able to find one at a local computer or game store but a better price will probably be found online or used. I have a used Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP AirStation that I got when I bought my Stoker. It is no longer made due to some patent infringement litigation but it works great and has decent range.

Some folks have successfully converted a Linux wireless router to a bridge but this requires reflashing the firmware of the router which can be problematic. Unless you are very tech-savvy and have a compatible router already though I wouldn't recommend this route.

There is a fair amount of info on setting up the Stoker wirelessly here on TVWBB as well folks's opinions of which wireless bridges they use. As Larry said, there are some that are just no good but that applies to most anything that is for sale. I have have only used the Buffalo bridge so I can't help you much with other models/brands. Good luck. Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!

Joel - just use an extra wireless router. You'll only be able to connect to that router from the laptop, meaning you won't have your normal network and internet access at home. And when you are at someplace like a competition, you probably wouldn't have internet access anyway.

I have used an extra wireless router like this for a couple of years. I have just recently purchased a wireless bridge to be used only when I'm at home and have internet access.

Hi Steve,
How does that work using an extra router? Are you saying that you hook up two routers to make the connection or one router with a Cat Cable to the stoker and pick it up wirelessly with the laptop?

Thanks for the help

Joel

Steve is right. Just get a spare wireless router. That's what we use for the comps where there is no internet. Plug the stoker into the LAN switch on the back and set your laptop up to connect to the wireless lan on that router. Your computer won't have internet access when it's connected to that network.

At home, where I have internet access I use a linksys wireless game adapter (WGA54G). It connects up to my internet enabled wireless router. I can therefore connect my laptop up to this network and "see" the stoker as well as the internet.

Of course, you can also use just a wireless game adapter but you'll need to configure static IP addressing on your laptop/stoker because this device does not have a DHCP server like the router does.

Considering that a spare router is probably the same cost as a game adapter ~ you might as well get a spare router.

Back