Sesame Oil

Bob R

TVWBB Member
I have some dark sesame oil and it just smells nasty...almost burnt. Does the light sesame oil smell like that?

From what I have seen , the darker the oil , the deeper the flavor and aroma. I have to ask, is the oil fresh or have you had it for some time.

Rick

I have some and it doesn't seem to say light or dark. I guess it's just regular. Anyway, I smelled it and it seems to have a smokey, toasted or roasted smell. It does not smell nasty. I use it for a sesame ginger dressing and it's wonderful. You must have a darker oil. HAs it expired?

Regular sesame oil, generally, is a darker, bit more deep golden color than say, corn or peanut oil. Toasted sesame oil is much darker, golden brown to brown. Its flavor is as Nicole descibes. Either oil--any, actually--will become rancid when exposed to air; how long that will take depends on several factors. Toasted oil has a shorter shelf life. It's best used fresh, in dressings, (again, like Nicole mentions), not cooked with. Bob: It sounds like you have toasted. A lot of people can't stand toasted oil, even if fresh, so it's hard to say if yours is rancid or just something you don't have a taste for.

The expiration date is good through 2006 so it's not too old. It's very dark. I think I'll try some of the lighter stuff and see how it compares. It's probably just a preference thing but that stuff sure is strong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob R:
The expiration date is good through 2006 so it's not too old. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just so you know: The expiration date on oil denotes the approximate date the packager expects the oil to be comsumable if the bottle remains unopened. Though it's just a guess on their part, they take into consideration the type of oil (some are prone to rancidity sooner than others), packaging (clear containers allow much more light than tinted or opaque containers, hastening rancidity), and the potential for ambient heat (another factor with rancidity).

Once a bottle of oil is opened the expiration date on the package is useless. Exposure to air {rancidity's most significant factor) then enters in to the equation.

If possible, purchase oil in tinted or opaque containers. If the oil you prefer is packaged in a clear container, you can help to extend its shelf life by storing the container in an opaque paper or plastic bag. Store in a cooler area of your kitchen, not next to, or above, your stove. Expensive, infrequently, or sparingly used oils are best purchased in small containers.

You could have a bad batch. If you're familiar with sesame oil and it smells different to what you're used to get another kind. And "a little goes a long way" is correct, perhaps this is very strong oil. I put a bit in my cole slaw it's really good.

morgan

Bob,

If it smells nasty, my guess is it's bad and I would replace it. If it was exposed to air and sunlight, it will get rancid well before any expiration date on the bottle. If you buy it is Asian specialty stores, it is much cheaper than grocery stores and the quality is usually better.

Ray

I agree with Ray Crick. It's probably bad. Sesame oil - light and dark - should have a very distinct nutty sesame smell. There shouldn't be an off smell at all. If so, it's gone rancid.

- Adam

Back