Served ribs by Myron Mixon yesterday

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I thought some of you would find this of interest. I was in Miami for business (still am) and got a call from a client who asked me to meet him at a new restaurant that was opening soon. It is called "pride and Joy". Anyway, it is Myron's new restaurant concept. When I walked in, it was clear they had more work to do before the grand opening but they were finishing up things and giving the Jack's ...smokers are good workout. They had them loaded up with ribs, chicken, brisket and cupcake chicken. We sat around talking with Myron for awhile and then he went to the back, picked out 3 racks of BB ribs with his different seasonings, plus, a rack of st louis. He stood at the edge of the table slicing and serving the ribs (we were the only ones there besides his son and agent). He was looking for our input on the ribs, mostly the seasoning but overall impressions.

Anyway, maybe not a big deal to some but it was a very fun experience. While Myron appears pretty gruff on the competition circuit, he was as nice and genuine as could be in person. His son Michael seemed like a great you guy too. Just wanted to share my story, not a everyday experience...

I think the new restaurant concept will be a big hit from what i've seen.

LOL. I attempted to comment on the ribs and he said, i'm looking for input on the seasoning and sauces more than the meat. They were very good. I'm not really sure what judges look for when testing ribs for competition purposes but i thought they were great. I've made great ribs myself with lots of time and effort so I didn't say "wow, those are way better than mine" but they were excellent

LOL. I attempted to comment on the ribs and he said, i'm looking for input on the seasoning and sauces more than the meat. They were very good. I'm not really sure what judges look for when testing ribs for competition purposes but i thought they were great. I've made great ribs myself with lots of time and effort so I didn't say "wow, those are way better than mine" but they were excellent

He should get Johnny Trigg to test them.

David,
I met Myron last year at Smokin' on the Bay. You are correct. Myron does not appear as he does on TV. He was really nice to talk to. His team was a bit harried and short, but Myron was inviting. I told him I had his book and he handed me some of his brisket. And by the way, his brisket is truly awesome!

Well, i didn't ask him about Johnny Trigg but when he served the cupcake chickens, I said "i remember these, you were in a contest and one of the young entrants copied you and made them too". He said "yeah, he really ****ed me off". I remember that show and he certainly was ****ed. It was a funny moment, at least for me

Myron's a nice guy but can be intense during a comp. I was curious as to the meat too. I've never had an opportunity to taste his BBQ. I've had Ed Mitchell's ribs and Chris Lilly's butt but I've never had good southern beef. All the brisket I've had at our Toronto Ribfests was just "good enough" for BBQ. My friend's mom makes a much tastier brisket for the Jewish high holiday :)

Back