Serious question...

Thats half the fun trying new stuff and different ways of doing stuff.Keep at it and you will find your grove and what you like.

I'm from South Louisiana where we will eat anything you put in front of us. In fact we are the only place in the world where when you go to the zoo, under the discription of the animal in the cage you will find the recipe.

As you can see, I'm from Houston. To be quite honest, I don't even like the taste of brisket. I don't care if it's the best in the world it just doesn't suit me. I prefer pork butts with a good bark, like you might find to the east - I like ribs that have a Kansas City style sauce on them or maybe just a rub. For me, beef is for grilling and pork for smoking.

I rarely use Mesquite. The flavor is too strong. I prefer Hickory or better still, Pecan. For sweeter flavors, Maple, Cherry, and Apple work well.

I think all that regional-style stuff is good to know for historical and educational purposes and it makes interesting reading in books but if you want good BBQ the only question is what you prefer and the only way to discover that is by trying everything once.

One more thing: I have quite a good number of books on BBQ, Spices, Sauces, Smoking, Grilling, and everything else related. In my opinion, you should find a good copy of these books and read them like the bible:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>The Cook's Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Barbecue
<LI>Smoke and Spice
<LI>Smokestack Lightnin' <--But that one is just for if you want to read about regional stuff, stories, and anthropology more than learning anything cooking related. [/list]
However, you'll probably learn just as much by lurking and searching this forum and website as any other way. I know I have.

I grew up in Nebraska which had tomato ("ketchup") based barbecue, mostly beef. I moved to North Carolina after high school and was exposed to eastern NC pork BBQ (now my favorite). But, it took a while to adjust to vinegar and pork. Western NC BBQ (pork) with tomato is also good. In fact, I recommend virtually all versions of BBQ. You now have the tools - it's time to experiment! My guess is that you will find a lot to like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Marr:
well not all that serious but I thought I might get more answers this way...

Being new to the Q world, I wanted to dive right in and get to know as much as I can. Let's face it, I'm just outside of Montreal and we're not in southern Texas, we have different obsessions but I think this might become one of mine real soon. Anyway, I've been reading and watching shows on this topic for some time. I know in southern Texas most of you love your Q dry, where the smoke gives off most of the flavor, then maybe add some bbq sauce when eating, some places like it nice and 'wet', some real sweet, and some real 'hot'. I was wondering if this is set in stone? If you're from one part of the country do you always stick to what your area is known for or do people tend to want to discover other flavors and techniques? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you first start BBQ`ing... no matter where you`re from, you will want to experiment and discover for yourself what you like and what your family and friends are into. So, forget whats set in stone... nothing is. Just go for it! Happy BBQ`ing from Brooklyn to YOU!

My father in law lives in South Carolina. He came up to Michigan and after one smoke on my wsm he ran out an ordered one. I lean towards the sweeter style and always have. I went to a famous Q joint in S.C. and couldn't even eat the vinegar based pulled pork. My mom always used sweet sauces so I guess I'm not used to the vinegar sauce. The funny thing is I do love vinegar on my fries and in other recipes. My favorite salad dressing is olive oil and cider vinegar. I guess I just dont like it on my pork apparently. BTW what dont you guys like about Famous Daves? I see alot of people slamming him on here. If I'm too lazy to Q thats where I go. Just curious what you guys dont like about it. Ken

Back