Sequoia project, this one is rough

Dan Hendricks

Over the weekend I came accross this Sequoia, the previous owner was using it as a halloween prop. He had a SS performer as his primary charcol grill and had no intention of using the Sequoia again. After promising him I wasn't going to part it out for profit or fix it and Ebay it, we worked out a trade for a few hours of helping him with his car. The cart needs a total rebuild but the kettle was decent and all accesories were there, even the towel holders. Has anyone rebuilt a sequoia cart from scratch before? Was planning on using cedar to make an exact copy, stain it, seal it, and then just swap everything over. Any advice, thoughts, or comments are always welcome, thanks for looking.

Dan; that looks like a great find and fun project! You might want to take a look at some different woods. I think Cedar is great; maybe some redwood as well? Both rot and insect resistant. I imagine you could give Weber a call and see if they will share any spec info they may have - they aren't that far from you either. Take pictures. Document everything and have some fun! That's going to be a great cart when you're finished.

Dan, from the pictures it look like you have enough to work with. It does not look like all of the wood needs to be replaced.
It is a shame that someone would leave that out to rot like that, but it might surprise you how much of the wood is salvageable.
Good luck with your project.

Awesome project. I would do as Bob says. Just work with what you have on that cart. Looks like a lot of it is salvageable.

Back