Semi-Failed Prime Rib Roast

John-Peterson

TVWBB Fan
For yesterdays christmas diner with the inlaws, my bro in law wanted prime rib, as did I. He said he'd buy If I fried (cooked), I agreed. Having never done one before I found a few methods and settled on:

(3.5 lbs boneless Prime Rib Roast)

Pull from fridge 2.5 hours before cooking. I used a "Prime Rib Rub" he picked up from the butcher shop. Sear over coals, then indirect at 325-350 until internal temp of 125 degrees. Having trouble controlling temp because of wind, I decided to finish in the oven. I pulled at about 125 and let rest in the microwave wrapped in foil with a towel.

I sliced into the meat after about 25 min. There was a little juice in the foil, but not much. After I sliced there was a lot of juice on the cutting board.

Now, the meat was a little tough in spots and it was somewhat dry, not sawdust dry but not juicy. There was also hardly any flavor in the meat. It was somewhat blah. I know bone in adds more flavor.

So did what I do sound right, and just maybe got a bunk piece of meat? or did I screw something up? the meat was only 5.89 a lbs, but this was after christmas too so I think they had leftovers at the butcher shop.

Try bone in. It's not so much the bone as the fat that's often trimmed off along with the bone. Fat=flavor.

Try cooking 100? lower (225-250?) after searing - or cook indirect first and sear to finish. The latter approach lessens the chance of the surface lean drying.

Buy Choice or Prime. Both have higher internal soft fat deposits. I suspect you might have had Select. Fat=flavor.

Back