Seeking advice on repair Weber 620 + part costs from Weber

Ken-Canada

Hello. Long time lurker, new member,

I have one of the Weber 620 Grills that are known for lack of durability. It’s about 13 years old.

The cookbox is shot, the manifold might be in rough shape and the flames from the burners are inconsistent.

Over and above that, the bottom panel is falling apart and the sides have early signs of corrosion.

I was going to dispose of it until I saw new replacements for a similar model will probably cost $3k to $4k.

I’m looking at replacing the manifold, burners and cookbox and the bottom panel. I do have quite a few questions!

Luckily Weber is replacing the cookbox under warranty.

1) If I replace the cookbox, manifold and burners - from a cooking perspective will it be like cooking with a new BBQ?

2) The manifold is a bit sticky and not all burners ignite and I think I have two choices. I can clean it out and check the wires on each ignition point - but I’m thinking I may just be better off buying the new part. Thoughts on that?

3) The flames out of the burners are inconsistent and the burners have some rust. Is it worth cleaning them up inside and out or just buying new. Again, I’m thinking it’s better just to buy new. Thoughts?

4) The bottom panel is toast so replacing that is not optional. One of the side panels is starting to wear but at this point any issue is just cosmetic vs functional. My inclination is to let it be as the bbq is in a corner and the rust on it really isn’t that prevalent and doesn’t bug me. Would leaving that be make sense?

5) Weber has given me a quote on the parts I need and offered a further 20% discount. Do people have any luck getting more than that or is 20% pretty common.

6) Oh … and the hose has a pin hole that I’ve been able to seal for now, but they want $175 for a hose - so my plan is to look for a 3rd party hose for that. Is there anything proprietary about the hose as long as I get the right size (NG). I think I’m fine going 3rd party on the hose.

Thank you very much! Long time lurker and it was these forums that inspired me to reach out Weber for the cookbox and restore my bbq to prime cooking shape. I’m not as fussed about the cosmetics as I figure it’ll slowly wear again. I may buy a cover however - it’s been exposed to the elements every Canadian winter which probably contributed to its condition.

Welcome to the forum Ken! Great news on the cookbox being available and under warranty. I think the 20% discount is an attempt to appease Summit owners as they know full well about the cook box issues. The manifold is a relatively expensive part and it's not uncommon for the valves to get sticky. There is an excellent video on this forum by Chris Allingham for cleaning and lubricating the valves on his own Summit grill, check it out before you buy a new manifold. I would probably just buy new igniters for the grill since you have to take the grill apart anyway to replace the cookbox. As far as the burners, they may only need to be cleaned to get them back to optimum condition. I would carefully examine them after grill disassembly for cracks or excessive rust. Any aftermarket hose with the same specs should be fine and cost a lot less. Good luck, and don't be shy about asking questions or posting photos of your project.

Welcome to the forum Ken! Great news on the cookbox being available and under warranty. I think the 20% discount is an attempt to appease Summit owners as they know full well about the cook box issues. The manifold is a relatively expensive part and it's not uncommon for the valves to get sticky. There is an excellent video on this forum by Chris Allingham for cleaning and lubricating the valves on his own Summit grill, check it out before you buy a new manifold. I would probably just buy new igniters for the grill since you have to take the grill apart anyway to replace the cookbox. As far as the burners, they may only need to be cleaned to get them back to optimum condition. I would carefully examine them after grill disassembly for cracks or excessive rust. Any aftermarket hose with the same specs should be fine and cost a lot less. Good luck, and don't be shy about asking questions or posting photos of your project.
Thanks Steve. In reference to the manifold, I agree that I can probably just clean and lubricate the valves on the manifold, but the manifold also has igniters on each valve and some of those aren’t lighting - so my driver for replacing the manifold is lighting burners. Is there anything I can do to restore the igniters vs replace the manifold?

Here’s a link to the part to see what I mean.

Oh, yeah it's got that "jet" ignition. I wonder if the piezo electric "clicker" on them has gone bad? Those manifolds don't look as easy to work with as the old original Summit ones. Having never seen one I can't help but wonder if you're on the right track to simply replace it.
The burners? If they're just dirty with surface rust and general detritus clogging the holes and such a thorough cleaning would be in order. Otherwise I guess replacement would be best if they have cracks

Well, you certainly can not buy a similar replacement (or any Weber grill) for the few hundred you will invest. You should end up with a grill that will perform like new and give many years of use.

Thanks Steve. In reference to the manifold, I agree that I can probably just clean and lubricate the valves on the manifold, but the manifold also has igniters on each valve and some of those aren’t lighting - so my driver for replacing the manifold is lighting burners. Is there anything I can do to restore the igniters vs replace the manifold?

Here’s a link to the part to see what I mean.

the fuel rail contains the ignition wires. the wires are most likely burned out as you most likely have burned through the lower cookbox.

recommendation is to replace:
the lower cookbox,
the entire fuel rail/maniford - ensure the manifold has all the ignition wires with in when you buy that part,
it sounds like your burner tubes might be shot as you had hot spots due to irregular gas flow with the damaged cookbox - look and examine your burner tubes for symmetry and consistency in all the holes. if you see one hold become a single, large hole (two holes in one) then replace the full burner tube set. Weber will usually discount these tubes as they did for me in years past.
buy all new cotter pins which mount the top hood to the lower box (left and right sides hinge piece needs/uses cotter pins

since this is big refurb project, get as much new parts installed so you can maximize the new life of the grill (IMO).

this way you're doing all the work once and will get another 10+ years from your new rebuilt grill.

i owned a 620E years ago. and i cooked through the lower box, burner tubes and fried the ignition wires.

lmk if you have more questions. good luck with this breakdown and rebuild.

Here’s an old pic of mine. You can see how the fire came through the lower box and burned the igniters. So much that the ceramic piece fell off the fuel rail mount from many cooking cycles.

These grills are potentially dangerous if the user doesn’t understand what’s happening to their grill and cookbox.

1680217150397.jpeg

1680217169903.jpeg

1680217188202.jpeg

1680217208449.jpeg

More box rot where the grates rest on the box.

1680217276909.jpeg

Oh, yeah it's got that "jet" ignition. I wonder if the piezo electric "clicker" on them has gone bad? Those manifolds don't look as easy to work with as the old original Summit ones. Having never seen one I can't help but wonder if you're on the right track to simply replace it.
The burners? If they're just dirty with surface rust and general detritus clogging the holes and such a thorough cleaning would be in order. Otherwise I guess replacement would be best if they have cracks
Good advice.

Thanks for all the great advice?

I think I’m leaning to replacing the manifold. Thoughts?

I did pick up cleaning supplies but I’m not sure this can really be restored. Here’s some pics.

Attachments

• 5CD76EF7-9B82-4F77-BC55-C45F93299B46.jpeg
    5CD76EF7-9B82-4F77-BC55-C45F93299B46.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 67302890-6ACD-44CE-AAE1-176A83138D28.jpeg
    67302890-6ACD-44CE-AAE1-176A83138D28.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 5
  • AF04FF7A-3DD2-4497-85DA-5C5A4A995EDE.jpeg
    AF04FF7A-3DD2-4497-85DA-5C5A4A995EDE.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for all the great advice?

I think I’m leaning to replacing the manifold. Thoughts?

I did pick up cleaning supplies but I’m not sure this can really be restored. Here’s some pics.
show us more of the igniters, please. and inside of the cookbox burn thru too.

Here are more of the igniters on the outlets of the manifold. Cookbox I can take pics of tomorrow, it’s night time here now. But I’m not removing it until the new one arrives in a week or two.

I haven’t placed my parts order yet, was going to see if I can restore the manifold or not first.

Attachments

• 3399B0C1-3606-4F75-A8C8-4CE7F7654A76.jpeg
    3399B0C1-3606-4F75-A8C8-4CE7F7654A76.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 24B3A2D5-E2EE-4CA3-8A67-C6D42DEB4157.jpeg
    24B3A2D5-E2EE-4CA3-8A67-C6D42DEB4157.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 63420C8B-1578-446A-9FD9-F19FD9FCBE8B.jpeg
    63420C8B-1578-446A-9FD9-F19FD9FCBE8B.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 6
  • ED9D666B-E32A-4A30-8D84-6E8E6EE226BC.jpeg
    ED9D666B-E32A-4A30-8D84-6E8E6EE226BC.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 6
This might be idiotic advice, but I always suggest saving the old parts. Another fifteen years down the road, parts from the old manifold might give you more options to keep the grill going when new parts are no longer available. Just a thought.

I sure want to see you succeed with your big project. It is hard for me not to rant a bit, however, of what a fiasco these 3rd generation Summit grills are. It is ridiculous to me that Weber would make their top of the line and most expensive grill with so many weak components almost destined to fail. These bloated beasts are far removed from the simple, yet elegantly engineered first Genesis grills that earned Weber a reputation in gas grills like their kettle did for them in charcoal grilling.

I keep hoping Weber is working on an entirely new Summit that will go back to basics with solid construction and less reliance on gadgetry and flash.

I had acquired not one but two 3rd generation Summits some years ago when my enthusiastic reach far exceeded my grasp. Back then I thought “No problem! Soon I will be at the helm of a Weber starship.” Hah! I finally realized that rebuilding one of these was more than I wanted to deal with, both from a time and a cost perspective. I was horrified at the decayed and burned through internals and what it would cost to get everything working safely. I gave up:

A33CA7E3-D9A9-45F9-9110-43B98E3367A1.jpeg

All this is in no way saying that a properly working 3rd generation Summit isn’t an excellent cooker. I am sure it is. Just not my cup of tea…

These bloated beasts are far removed from the simple, yet elegantly engineered first Genesis grills that earned Weber a reputation in gas grills like their kettle did for them in charcoal grilling.
The new Genesis grills are closer to this as well than they are to "true" Genesis grills.

I sure want to see you succeed with your big project. It is hard for me not to rant a bit, however, of what a fiasco these 3rd generation Summit grills are. It is ridiculous to me that Weber would make their top of the line and most expensive grill with so many weak components almost destined to fail. These bloated beasts are far removed from the simple, yet elegantly engineered first Genesis grills that earned Weber a reputation in gas grills like their kettle did for them in charcoal grilling.

I keep hoping Weber is working on an entirely new Summit that will go back to basics with solid construction and less reliance on gadgetry and flash.

I had acquired not one but two 3rd generation Summits some years ago when my enthusiastic reach far exceeded my grasp. Back then I thought “No problem! Soon I will be at the helm of a Weber starship.” Hah! I finally realized that rebuilding one of these was more than I wanted to deal with, both from a time and a cost perspective. I was horrified at the decayed and burned through internals and what it would cost to get everything working safely. I gave up:

View attachment 68428

All this is in no way saying that a properly working 3rd generation Summit isn’t an excellent cooker. I am sure it is. Just not my cup of tea…
Yup - I was surprised once I pulled the manifold out. And even that was no easy task - I had to drill one of the two screws out and the hose was pretty fused on two and I needed my neighbors help to detach it.

That said, it should cook like new with a new manifold and cookbox - and for good measure I think I’ll just order new burner bars. They look ok when I inspect them, but after seeing the manifold I shouldn’t have faith in the burner bars lasting another 5-10 years. At least I’m getting the cookbox for free so the parts should run me under $400 Canadian for another 7-10 years of service.

But it is quite shoddy - all major internals other than the hood on the upper body and side trays are shot. And underneath the bottom panel is toast and the back/sides are starting. That just shouldn’t happen with something this premium.

I’ll focus on functionality and underneath I’ll just replace the bottom panel. I think the rest will be fine for a few more years. And I’ll put plywood or something over the bottom panel - I think the major holes are from the grease tray and or rain, so I’ll put a layer between the new panel and the elements.

It hasn’t been cooking nearly as well for the last the couple years as it had earlier and I was thinking it was time to retire it. Now for a small investment I’ll get a few more years. And in the future I may look to a different brand. Napoleon is made in Canada and has some nice premium offerings so that may be the route to go. I feel like we’ve all been collectively taken advantage of here.

After getting a closer look at what you have there, your original thought to replace the whole thing may be spot on if you are worried about consistent ignition on all burners. I would definitely add a new set of burner tubes at that point because they play a part in how well the grill lights as well. Now, that still wouldn't stop me from putting a wire wheel in my drill and giving it a shot to get it cleaned up and working better first.

After getting a closer look at what you have there, your original thought to replace the whole thing may be spot on if you are worried about consistent ignition on all burners. I would definitely add a new set of burner tubes at that point because they play a part in how well the grill lights as well. Now, that still wouldn't stop me from putting a wire wheel in my drill and giving it a shot to get it cleaned up and working better first.
Thanks Steve. After seeing how beat up it is, I’m just gonna get the manifold and bars. May as well get like new performance and it’ll run me under $400 Canadian since they are covering the cookbox.

Everything is just fused and rusted together, even getting the manifold off was a project just because of that!

But like my comment about, I’ll function on restoring functionality and not worry too much about cosmetics so I’ll let the paneling under the bbq be other than the disintegrating bottom panel - as that could have a structural implication.

Back