Second WSM cook observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark C

TVWBB Member
After reading that some use the Minion method for even shorter times (5 - 7 hours), I tried it for 10 pounds of jalapeno sausage - raw, then boneless country style beef ribs.

Had to add an additional cooking grill for all the sausage to fit. Used less than half a ring of Kingsford and 22 lit coals. Took 2 hours for the sausage, then put in the ribs. 5 hours later they were done too. The WSM held 235 - 245 rock steady the whole time!

Even did some yard work /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Not used to leaving a smoker be and go about my business!

Mark

Mark...

I am one that uses it for everything I smoke. I ain't real smart and having to learn 2 methods of firing is just way beyond me! LOL

Glad everything worked out for ya!

LOL Kevin, I guess the only time you wouldn't use it would be to do a turkey or chicken?

I am anxious to try smoking a turkey and don't have the patience to wait till November!

Mark, it sounds like you've about got it "dialed in." I've cooked on mine twice also - two butts the first time, 3 racks of ribs the second. Both times we had winds between 20 and 30 mph, which didn't help. I set up a windbreak this last time, which made temperature control somewhat easier, but I'd sure like to see how the WSM cooks on a nice day.

Kevin, does that include a whole turkey? I too use the grill for chicken but never tried doing a turkey that way.

Larry, fortunately I am sheltered on 3 sides where I cook. You will be amazed how little effort it takes to maintain temp on a calm day. Hoping your next cook is wind free so you can experience this smoker in all its glory!

Mark...

Yes, turkey also. But, I stick with the smallest ones I can find OR more likely will do just the breast. There are only 2 adults and 2 small kids who don't eat much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back