Second run, ribs, Norwegian cut

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
I'm sure you have seen a lot of these threads before, but I would like to share this with you all anyways. There’s a small twist included regarding the cut, and I also have a couple of questions.

I Live in Norway, and “slow” barbeque is almost unheard of. In Norway everybody does high heat grills, usually using gas grills, and with ready- rubbed or marinated meat bought at the supermarket.
To do as I do, mixing my own marinade or rub, is considered quite advanced, although I don’t think it’s very complicated.

I have read about “low and slow barbeque” on the internet, and wanted to give it a try. I found this forum, ordered a WSM, had to wait for eight weeks to get it, and paid 560 USD for the smoker.

This is my second run, still a novice, but since I have tasted the final result twice, there is no turning back. I have never ever before experienced pork meat so tender, juicy and full of flavour!

This might not be so interesting, but just for the sake of it, (and afterwards you can claim to be an expert of Norwegian pork production- here’s a little story, and some facts.)
When I started to ponder into “what’s spare ribs, and how they are made”, it made no real sense to me. You take a piece of the pig, with the ribs on, and cut away most of the meat, and then cook the rest for several hours? When I eat, I generally want to eat meat, not gnaw on bones..

Now- what do you use the meat that is removed from the ribs for?

I have found out that the cuts we can buy in Norway are quite different from what you are getting. I can’t go to the store and buy a rack of ribs. They are simply not for sale. The stuff that resembles the most, are “ribbe” or “ribs”. We eat that as a traditional Christmas dinner, typically spiced with salt and black pepper, and oven roasted. That means that these cuts are sold in November and December, and these cuts are hard to find during summer.

By looking at the nice pictures in other posts, it seems that the pigs you get the meat from are much larger than the ones raised for meat here in Norway. Pork production is basically monopolized, and all pigs are processed when the weight is 150 pounds. That means that if I cut away the meat on the ribs, there’s not much left.

So for my second run, I decided to remove just the skin of the ribs, and leave the rest of the meat and fat on the ribs.

Maybe some of you could be inspired to try a couple of different cuts.

Do you do this as well, and if so, what do you call it?

My first run was some leftover ribs when I made a couple of pancetta slabs. It was very tasty, but a lot of bones, and not much food, to be frank.

This is the result of my second try, including a few comments:

Picture of the ribs. I have removed the skin.

My first try on "USAstyle rub". You sure use a lot of sugar in your food..
icon_smile.gif
Ground peppers, some sugar, garlic, salt, oregano, barbeque spice, and paprika.

I applied the rub the night before. Ready to rumble.

Nearly done. I added a few homemade sausages, let them rest on WSM for an hour, but that did not add any smoke flavour, even if I added a extra piece of apple wood from a tree I cut down in my garden a few years ago. Quite tasty after all.

I must admit- I'm a bit proud. Not bad for the second run. Very juicy, tender and something I have never tasted before!

To buy this wine you have to travel to Svalbard. To be frank, it was not worth it, but the trip is awesome! Do try the one of the snowmobile- tours! But please bring warm clothing..
icon_smile.gif

The WSM was lit up using the minion- method, a local brand of briquettes, and was very stable during the cook. No problems. 235F all the way. Smoke wood added was to lumps of oak, raw, not dried, from a tree in my garden, and three small lumps of apple wood, several years old.

Geir, congrats on a good looking cook. If you hadn't told us I would have sworn that those were beef short ribs, uncut. At any rate they look good enough to eat. Sounds like you are quite the Maverick round those parts.

Enjoy!

Mark

Originally posted by TravisH:
Very nice.

BTW, what's in the sauages?

Just after christmas, pork (ribbe) is quite cheap, as the christmas meal pork that has not been sold before christmas day are ”leftovers”. I usually pick up several pounds, grind it and then I make sausages.
The trick is to keep everything cool, during mixing, processing and grinding. Keep the grinder, bowls, spices and so on in a freezer. Fahrenheit temps around 35 is nice, but not below freezing point.
Add some salt, as that will release the proteins in the meat, this is necessary to bind the sausage meat, and it will absorb juice and water.
I tend to make a basic mixture, and then add different spices and flavours. One of the mixtures here are made of my “basic mix”, with just salt and freshly ground black pepper, and then a small cup of dry white wine, garlic and fresh basil, the other one is spiced with a very small amount of single malt islay whisky, (ardbeg), some drops of Tabasco sauce, chili peppers and a small sprinkling of dried cayenne pepper.

Do not use a lot of wine or whisky. The taste of wine/whisky is very strong in a sausage.

Your meats all look fantastic and I really mean that ! If you could get a butcher that knew what a Baby Back rib cut is to cut you some from 150 LB pigs OMG they should be some fantastic ribs !

Geir,

It appears that you are adapting quite well without the traditional North American cuts and our 270 lb hogs. You might find This informative.

I sure did. Thanks alot!
I do not think the Norwegian pigs are large enough to make all those different cuts, but it will help me to understand what you are talking about.

During the right season (november, december) I can even choose til buy "ribs" with the loin meat attached, and still get ribs that have a bit of pork belly attached. The pieces are not that huge..

We have the same problem here in Sweden.
Pigs goes to slaughter at a much younger age and lesser weight.

I'm fortunate to live in a small community with a local slaughter house and small butchers shop. I can get them to cut the meat "US style" provided that I buy all the meat that get "destroyed" during the process. But, since the pigs are smaller the result is still different. For example I bought a whole pork shoulder, with bones and the total weight was approx 8 pounds.

Babybacks can be found but they are ususally "pre-soaked" in some crappy marinade, untreated ones are really hard to find.

Persoanlly I don't have a big problem with this, you have to adopt to the fact that there is less meat on the bones and adjust the time in the smoker accordingly.
With some US-based recipies for rubs and sauces you'll get the same taste and a wonderful eating experience as well.

Perhaps there will be a new BBQ-style emerging, Scandinavian BBQ, with a little bit difference in cuts, flavouring and wood used for smoking.
icon_wink.gif

Hello Bive were in sweden do u live?

Im from Blekinge,karlshamn.

I think a normal pig goes to slaughter at around 80-100kg here in sweden.

My local butcher can provide some pretty meaty BB ribs but not in that extent that Geir posted.

Looks like a blend of BB ribs and "tjocka revben-swedish name" - http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/613102306

A well great looking food u got there Widar keep it up.

Back