Second Job on New WSM - Salmon

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
For dinner this evening I'll be folowing this recipe for a three pound salmon filet. I'll be snapping some shots and posting them here tonight.

Here's my immediate concern-- it's windy out there right now. Weather Channel tells me gusts of 20-30 mph to be expected today. Yeah, I'm still a few hours from starting, but I sure hope it dies down!

About the only 'trouble' I most worry about is getting coals started in my chimney. Worst case scenario, I see myself doing that right at the opening of my garage, where things will be a little more protected from the wind.

Hey Matt,

Wad up some paper towel and pour some vegetable or canola oil all over it. Don't soak it, but enough to dampen the paper towel. Place that under the chimney and light it. This helps me when it's windy. It lights easily and keeps the flame going longer. Have fun!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Sounds like a plan Matt.
I don't use a chimney, I light my charcoal with a high output propane torch, a BernzOMatic JT-850, it works well.

I've applied the dry rub, and the salmon's currently sitting in the 'fridge for a couple of hours...

8627665741_c2f4f0efe4_z.jpg

Tigers game is on the radio, think I'll pour myself a beer and shine a couple pairs of shoes as I wait...

Tigers not doing so hot, but my WSM's about to be! I have rinsed the dry rub off and letting it sit for half an hour before it goes on the heat/smoke.

8629284948_0d1fdc2028_z.jpg

Fish is on the smoker. Well, has been, these posts aren't quite happening real-time. :cool:

8629494910_9fd68778a2_z.jpg

Looking good so far, you should get an old peice of plywood to put your lid on when you take it off or your patio stones will soon have big black circles on them - not that this has happened to me before :confused:

Just got done enjoying the best salmon I have ever prepared!

8629854326_170b00836f_z.jpg

8628744187_9bf0f2d61c_z.jpg

Extremely tender and moist. Has a sweet taste to it, but you don't lose that "salmon" flavor. Also a solid smoke taste too-- I used apple wood, two mid-sized chunks and one small piece of a chunk.

I have grilled salmon a couple of times previously-- didn't apply any sort of rub, had only covered it in a lemon/dill based sauce. While that was good, it doesn't hold a candle to this. Also, I don't really have any second-thoughts about bringing leftovers of this to work tomorrow and reheating it in the community microwave, unlike my old salmon-jobs on the grill. All in all I am quite pleased with this recipe.

Looking good so far, you should get an old peice of plywood to put your lid on when you take it off or your patio stones will soon have big black circles on them - not that this has happened to me before :confused:

HA! I don't worry too much about making marks on the pavement-- it's just the driveway, and I'm convinced the concrete has got to be nearly as old as the house, which was built in the early '50s. However, I have sort of thought about grabbing some plywood to set the top on, more-so in an effort to reduce the risk of chipping the finish around the rim as I set it down.

Matt, your WSM is soooo clean!

In due time it'll look good and dirty. I'll try to keep the bowl and cooking racks clean, but soon enough the inside of the body will get that baked-on goodness that helps to keep the temps running not quite as hot.

Matt,

The best lesson learned on this cook is that it's bad luck to smoke salmon for Tigers games. :(

Great looking cook!!!

I'm surprised you don't have temp problems after blocking that much area with foil.

You know, here's the thing-- technically, I think I did, but because this was only my second smoke and the WSM's seem to run hot when they're new, it sort of was at a good temp by pure luck.

I say this because for the previous two and a half hours since I took the food/foil off, my WSM has been sitting there empty at a solid 300, rather than the 225-250 that it was at while cooking.

The best lesson learned on this cook is that it's bad luck to smoke salmon for Tigers games. :(

Which stinks, because should they make the playoffs again, that will be a prime atmosphere to toss something on the WSM in the morning, and pig out while watching the game in the evening!

Back