Searwood instead of Genesis?

Even a regular pellet grill can be used hot enough for everyday work. Winter is the only thing I've seen that challenges their capability. Which is why I mentioned maybe holding out and getting cold weather performance reports on it
Maybe I’ll stick the gas grill in garage for a while just in case the Searwood can’t handle the cold and I need to pull it out this winter.

I use my gas grill the most during the winter, and my winter is mild compared to others.

Editing to clarify.

In winter for grilling I use the gas grill more than in summer when would light coal. Often it is convenience or just being in a hurry, but when it's windy and raining I don't enjoy fighting a grill.

Winter smoking is almost always on the BGE which seems oblivious to any wind or rain.

Last edited:
One last question before I head off to take some pork chops out of the freezer in anticipation of cooking them on a new grill tonight and get my chores started… is there a “flavor” of pellet that would most closely represent the taste of a simple charcoal grill?

I'd like to get some of my deck real estate back. The Wolf has kinda become the "odd man out". Honestly contemplating selling it. While not the prettiest Wolf ever. and it doesn't have igniters anymore it does light easy enough with stick lighter and goes from "down low" to Satan is knocking type heat.

One last question before I head off to take some pork chops out of the freezer in anticipation of cooking them on a new grill tonight and get my chores started… is there a “flavor” of pellet that would most closely represent the taste of a simple charcoal grill?
You can buy Royal Oak charcoal pellets

I just blame Dan

very good. I still have a meat slicer I never opened.
All i can say is for me being in the backyard cooking something with the game on is about as good as it gets.
I’ve spent money on worse things.
Good to know Dan can take the blame. Apologies in advance Dan if you get any angry calls from my wife. 🤣

I think that pleasure of outdoor cooking is amplified here in Wisconsin where our season is limited. Family comes over for dinner most Sundays, and I make sure something on the menu is grilled every time from at least May to August!

For grilling temps, I found the pellet type was less of a factor, but that said, for a shorter cook I'd go with hickory or a comp blend.

i own a Weber Genesis 335s 2022, Smokefire EX4 and Pitbarrel (dug a 1m diameter firepit in the ground and lined it and determined to master live fire cooking this year) Bought a Bruntmor Swing to fit over it and got a few Dutch ovens and a Campside Grill for it

My Smokefire was my go to for most of last year, but after the very wet winter we had this year found myself using the Genesis for most cooks and the Pitbarrel for Smoked foods.

Loving the Genesis at the moment got most of the Crafted bits as well as a full griddle insert for it and that has been a game changer for me, just love griddling on it, and the rotisserie for whole birds, chunks of meat, skewers work really well and can do some pretty mean wings in the rotisserie basket.

Only took the cover off my Smokefire once since last October and that was to give it a spring clean and burn. Sure I will get back into using it, but the Genesis and Pitbarrel both are suiting my cooking needs at the moment,

Loving the Genesis at the moment got most of the Crafted bits as well as a full griddle insert for it and that has been a game changer for me, just love griddling on it, and the rotisserie for whole birds, chunks of meat, skewers work really well and can do some pretty mean wings in the rotisserie basket.
I saw a picture of some wings done in that Weber wing basket. They looked perfect! As someone born in upstate NY, the taste for good chicken wings is in my DNA. Maybe some family member who loves me will get it for me for my birthday. 🤞😁

I did pull the trigger today. Got to Ace, which showed they had the grill in stock, only to find out the only one in stock had been assembled for display. It looked flawless, and they agreed to deliver today for $20.

Kind of would have preferred to assemble myself, but then again I had no shortage of other work around the house to occupy my time.

Christened it with some pork chops from the local farmers market. Two thumbs up so far. 👍👍

I do still need to figure out a better location.

I appreciate all the advice along the way!! Probably many more questions to come though. 😁

PXL_20240519_205925528.jpeg

PXL_20240519_234505329.jpeg

PXL_20240519_225542965.jpeg

Back