Seafood Fatty?

Aaron B

Hey guys! A bunch of my buddies and I have been on a big fishing kick lately and have it got me thinking about trying a seafood stuffed fatty. I was thinking something along the lines of steamed shrimp, and crab meat with some kind of cheese. I tried searching but I couldn't come up with anything and I was wondering if anyone had tried anything like this before or if anyone had any general suggestions. This will be my first fatty and I'm excited to try this out. Thanks ahead of time everyone.

Ok, I tried the uncooked shrimp. I took pictures of every step of the process, and I will post them once it's all done. Thanks for the help.

I love fattys
icon_smile.gif

This is a tough call because this fatty will be very prone to overcooking. You can't take most seafood to the 160+F you take pork sausage without drying out the seafood severely.

Luckily due to to the principles of thermal diffusity the outside sausage layer will reach that 160 temp long before the inner seafood stuffing layer would, so just be mindful of the temperatures of both layers and pull the fatty off the heat when appropriate.

Poach them as usual till just done. Remove from the plastic to cool a little. Have smoker ready and lightly smoke just a few minutes. Slice and serve.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom F.:
You go me thinking. How about a Jambalaya fatty?

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that sounds like a good idea!

One of the guys I work with did a seafood fatty and it was awesome. He did not have any pork (ie, did not put seafood inside a regular fatty), but used shrimp and scallops wrapped inside a bacon weave. I don't know what all else he put in there other than cheese, but it came out great. Not sure how he got the bacon done without overcooking the more delicate seafood either.

I guess I need to pick his brain and find out some answers now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Poach them as usual till just done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cold smoke + sous vide + deep fry = win!

Back