Scrutchfield's Brisket Recipe

Doug KC

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone ever tried this recipe out? I found it on the BBQ Forum. My concern is that it would get overcooked by cooking to 205 internal. However, he certainly has won a lot using that method. Just curious if anyone has tried it.

"Thanks for all the nice compliments on my brisket. It's been very successful this year. I won over
$10,000 on my brisket entries in the contests I entered this year!
First of all you must start with good meat. The 99 cent a pound brisket just wont cut it. Always start
with USDA Choice or better, I use Prime because of my meat sponsor (Beef America, Omaha
Neb) but most of that is shipped overseas to Japan because they are willing to pay the price! Use
Choice or better!
Next I start with a good rub that's heavy in garlic and pepper, ("Top Secret" brand) not yet available
but I'm working on it for this Spring! Seasoned about three hours before smoking.
Smoke for at least 8-10 hours at 225 until the internal temp is in the 165-170 degree range. I like 4
chunks of Oak. 2 chunks of Cherry and 1 Hickory, with mostly white hot charcoal.
After the internal temp is 165+ I put the brisket in foil and cook at 300 degrees (oven or smoker
temp) until the internal temp reaches 205 degrees. When that's done I just put it away in an insulated
environment (I use a sleeping bag at contests) still wrapped in foil for several hours to allow it to still
cook until I ready to serve.
What you have when you open it up is a brisket that you'll need to slice 1/2" thick to keep in slices
and I then top it with a sweet, but still a distinctive whang,BBQ Sauce (again "Top Secret" as of this
date!) to serve to the judges.
Most of the time it'll be up there with anyone for taste, tenderness, and appearance. Those are the
three aspects we are judged on at BBQ contests!
To recap, use good meat, seasoning well, get the final ultimate temp. and top with just the right
sauce, present it well. and you'll be a Blue Ribbon Winner!"

Doug - This sounds like a variation of the high temperature brisket we know and love. It works for Myron Mixon, why not for this guy?

The foil keeps the meat moist. It should be good.

Jim

Cool. I just didn't want to have pot roast. By reading it I thought it might just fall apart. Thanks for the feedback.
icon_biggrin.gif

Well, the fact that he recommends 1/2" thick slices indicates that it is cooked beyond what most competetion brisket is.

Pencil width slices are the norm for turn-ins, from what I have seen.

That is a question for the pros on here.

After my contest last weekend, the last thing I'm going to do is cook my "comp" brisket over 190*. I've continued to lower the finishing temp of my brisket and it still comes out overdone by competition standards. Looks like 187* will be my next "pull it out" temp.

Not to say Mike's recipe isn't a good one. He's hailed as one of the best bbq chefs out there, especially when it comes to brisket.

Just an opinion.

Rick (not a pro, but I do cook against em!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug KC:
Has anyone ever tried this recipe out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's the first brisket recipe I featured here on TVWB years ago:

Brisket - Smoked & Oven Finished

Regards,
Chris

Well I'll be darned, it sure is! How did you like that method Chris? It sure looked like a juicy brisket. Do you remember it falling apart or did the slices stay together pretty good?

Back