Screw your ribs together....

Status
Not open for further replies.

John H.

TVWBB Member
I've tried just about everything to hold my ribs, but nothing seemed to work the way I wanted, until I tried screws.....

I'm not kidding. I've tried rib racks, and stacking 'em, but I was never satisfied, until one day I tried standing the rack on its side and using a dry wall screw or two to hold the rack together. Using this method, I can cook four or five racks on the top grate.

I normally rotate and flip the racks once after the first two hours, just to make sure I dont' have any cold spots.

Sounds odd, but it works.

Now thats just COOL. You must be a man who likes his tools eh??
icon_biggrin.gif
. I've never cooked ribs yet but I know most use kabob skewers to 'pin' them together. I'll be doing them for the first time tommorrow, don't know if I have any drywall screws laying around but I do have some skewers....Hey, whatever works!!

ron

I've tried the skewers too, but they are too long and they tend to get in the way....

Besides, the screws give me a chance to use my electric screwdriver.....

I just picked up 10 tiny spring clamps from home depot for 39 cents each. I am going ot try and clamp my racks together. Screwing them together would make alot of meat fit in a small space for sure.

Pick up a bag of wooden skewers-- they're cheap, and you can cut them if they're too long.

That does sound like a good idea.

I would not ever use drywall screws in my ribs though. The ones that are coated with the black coating tend to flake the coating off. I have gotten a lot of them flakes up under my fingernail many times ouch. If I were to try this I would use the ones that have a goldish tint to them. I am not sure what kind of coating it is. I want to say zink but I don't think that is it. Zink is usually a more chrome color. I think they are meant for exterior decks and the like. I don't mean galvanized either. Galvanized is gray color.

Of course if this is the method you wish to use and are concerned about the coating, you can get almost every fastener in stainless steel. Try you local Ace hardware, and if they don't have it, mail order from McMaster Carr.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Finney:
Stainless is the only way to go. Many zinc coatings have substances that are toxic, but not all. Use stainless to be sure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with Chris. If you're going to go this way, stainless is the SAFEST and [IMHO] only way to go. Buy a dozen 2"-3" SS screws and store with your BBQ equipment.

Great Idea BTW!
icon_biggrin.gif

<hr class="ev_code_hr" />

Perhaps wash and dry your SS screws as well. Personally, I wouldn't consider anything less.

BTW: even SS will rust, I've seen it. Depends on the grade and other factors like time and acidity.

I'm sorry, I've tried to imagine this and just can't. What do you mean by srewing the ribs together? Is there spacing between racks? Do you cook them on end?

If I were to screw them together I would do them end to end and make a giant rib coil. you could get at least 4 racks on each rack.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry N.:
I'm sorry, I've tried to imagine this and just can't. What do you mean by srewing the ribs together? Is there spacing between racks? Do you cook them on end? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>See pictures of COILED RIBS under the Cooking Tab, Baby Back Ribs - Best Ribs In The Universe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris K:
If I were to screw them together I would do them end to end and make a giant rib coil. you could get at least 4 racks on each rack. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
OMG!!! What a great idea!! I bet you could get more than 4 racks on this way.

Rath *going to screw this one*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back