Scotch Cake

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Had our usual Rum Cake (google for Bacardi Rum Cake) with a golden rum base. It uses 1/4C in the cake and 1/4C in the "sauce" so 1/2C total.

Was perusing recipe sites and as I like a good Scotch, included that in my search. Well, as much as I like Scotch and cake (not usually together), this one caught my eye.

The thing that got me was it uses TWO CUPS of Scotch to make. I haven't tried it yet but it's on my to-do list one day. Use whatever Scotch is your favourite. Here t'is:

Drunken Scotch Cake
The cake itself plays second fiddle to this divinely decadent Scotch whisky sauce. Unless you prefer to bake the cake, a good store-bought cake will suffice. My preference is plain yellow cake, but it works equally well with chocolate or angel’s food cakes.

The secret to success is to limit the cake height to no more than 3 inches. I use Carlyle Blended Scotch because of its intense raisiny-prune finish, but any sweeter Scotch (preferably with a sherry finish) will do. This recipe yields a two-part sauce, first for the base, then for the top.

2 cups Carlyle Blended Scotch whisky
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup molasses
2 sticks (¼ lb. ea.) of salted butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup chopped pecans
Cake
Large cake pan (at least 1/2″ larger than cake’s perimeter)

Add pecans to a heavy skillet and dry roast until crispy. Set aside. In a saucepan, heat ½ stick butter, Scotch, and 1 cup brown sugar. Cook until dissolved, then pour off ½ the liquid into the cake pan. (Adjusting the sauce cooking time impacts the cake’s alcohol flavor; the longer you cook it, the less alcohol in the sauce.) Set the cake into the cake pan to absorb the liquid. Add the remaining butter, molasses, and sugar to your saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Slowly fold in the heavy whipping cream, simmering until it no longer runny. Drizzle over the top of the cake, then top with chopped pecans.

Back