Science of steak flavor

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Many in my family prefer beef tenderloin. I feel like I have to coax the flavor out of it.
Rib steak and porterhouse seems to have much more flavor to me. A recent visit to Ruth's Chris yielded a fabulous rich fork tender ribeye. One of the best steaks I've had. Then I sampled a filet. It was more flavorful! Shock. Why? Why would a filet have more flavor than a nice (fatty) ribeye?
The ribeye was cooked rare to medium rare, just as requested. The filet was cooked closer to medium.
I think the ribeye has inheritly more flavor but the filet with a rich brown seared exterior-"crust", had more flavor. So, the full sear produced more net flavor than a richer, beefier cut of steak with less sear and browning.
Finally, I have grilled a couple of plain ole sirloin steaks (the $4/lb. variety). When seared well they produce a wonderful rich flavor.

So, each cut has X potential...flavor wise. The key must be the sear, the browning that maximizes the flavor potential.

start dry aging your steaks for a while before cooking them. its amazing
icon_smile.gif

Steve,Ruth's Chris probably dry ages their steaks. I think a lot of high end steak houses do this. They are also using prime meat. Hence,the high end and prices!

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Many in my family prefer beef tenderloin. I feel like I have to coax the flavor out of it.
Rib steak and porterhouse seems to have much more flavor to me. A recent visit to Ruth's Chris yielded a fabulous rich fork tender ribeye. One of the best steaks I've had. Then I sampled a filet. It was more flavorful! Shock. Why? Why would a filet have more flavor than a nice (fatty) ribeye?
The ribeye was cooked rare to medium rare, just as requested. The filet was cooked closer to medium.
I think the ribeye has inheritly more flavor but the filet with a rich brown seared exterior-"crust", had more flavor. So, the full sear produced more net flavor than a richer, beefier cut of steak with less sear and browning.
Finally, I have grilled a couple of plain ole sirloin steaks (the $4/lb. variety). When seared well they produce a wonderful rich flavor.

So, each cut has X potential...flavor wise. The key must be the sear, the browning that maximizes the flavor potential.

Beef tenderloin is also my favorite. If you buy (once in a while) prime quality steaks, you'll see a huge difference in marbeling and flavor compared to supermarket quality beef tenders or those Costco whole tenderloins they sell. You get what you pay for.

RC cooks them at 1800 degrees and places them on a 500 degree plate according to this article.
One ounce of butter goes on each steak.

Some of the best steaks that I've cooked were in a cast iron skillet in the oven, hot as our electric oven would get.
AB method.
IMO, sear marks are great, but for a really good crust, full contact is needed.

Ok

The best steak I have cooked was done with a cast iron skillet and a turkey fryer burner. get it hot I mean hot make sure the pan is well seasoned and go for it. RC cooks there steaks from the top down no flame under the meat. I have seeen it and it is amazing

Originally posted by Anthony Martino:
Ok

The best steak I have cooked was done with a cast iron skillet and a turkey fryer burner. get it hot I mean hot make sure the pan is well seasoned and go for it. RC cooks there steaks from the top down no flame under the meat. I have seeen it and it is amazing

Can you decribe this process further.

We(Me&MLI) took the boat over to Tallin. And whent in to a fine resturant in the "old town".

Ordered beef tenderloin,medium.

They served it on super hot stone plates. When they served it it was rare. And you had to flip it not to burn it on 1 side. But the flavour was SUPERB! After we had finished the steak and sides,the stone plate was still to hot to toutch. Back then the economy in Estonia was really poor. And only ritch ppl would eat in this restaurant. They brought us the bill and we put the money down inside of it. They dident wanna hand out our jackets before the waiter checked the dollars inside the bill
icon_smile.gif

I love Ruth's Chris...it's one of our favorite steak places. Even though it's a chain, they do it right IMO. Many will argue especially since Chicago has a ton of local and famous steak houses to choose from...but we always go back to Ruth's! Their lobster bisque is the best I have ever had as well.

I've done steaks over cast iron in my wood fired oven with a raging fire but I think it's the butter basting that makes all the difference in the world.

There are many who believe beef tenderloin is a treat, but I find it to be kind of bland. Cast iron for a steak? I thought that cast iron makes great fried chicken, but a good hot kettle for my steak thanks. The pad of butter is a nice touch. Ribeye is great for flavor, but a nice lower sirloin butt steak has great flavor with much less fat. Almost any steak cut is good grilled over charcoal and I like to try them all.
I would rather grill in the back yard than go to any steakhouse including Ruths Chris. It is more fun for me.

I have had some great meals at Ruth's Chris, although my steaks at home are nearly as good now that I've started adding butter! I like filet and hubby likes NY Strip, the kids will eat both. We get very good quality without having to buy prime when we shop locally at Kroger or Meijer. I made the mistake of buying steaks at Wal-mart once, and only once.

I don't really marinate, but I'll toss some soy sauce and minced garlic, salt, and pepper on a few minutes before cooking. Sometimes teriyaki on one side and soy on the other, maybe a bit of cayenne.

I have a copy of The Steak Lover's Cookbook and read it cover to cover. It changed the way I buy steaks. In general, the more tender a cut of beef, the less beefy the flavor.

the more tender a cut of beef, the less beefy the flavor.

I never thought of it that way.
As Bob said tenderloin can be bland.
I am a bit surprised we haven't had more comments about the changes taking place when meat browns.

I like to finish off my steaks with melted butter mixed with garlic powder. I take some butter put some garlic powder in it and melt it in a sauce pot on the grill or in the microwave and drizzle it over the top of the steak and let it sit on the gril for a minute then let it rest. Its delicous.

I worked my way through college at a top steak restaurant. The owners spent time educating us on all aspects of what we served including cuts of steak (and wine). Once every couple of months they'd prepare all the steaks on the menu and everyone would get a couple of mouthfuls of each cut. There was general consensus among the waiters and owners that:

- porterhouse was the best cut
- followed by ribeye
- followed by filet
- followed by sirloin
- a prime filet was better than a non-prime ribeye
- never order a steak more well done than medium
rare

Back