School me on a skyline

He dares to ask? They are magic... just kidding.
This was a special edition of the Spirit 500 and Genesis 1000 through 5000? I personally had a Genesis 3000 which I converted into a 2000. I don’t know if there ever was a 4000 or 5000 Skyline.
Weber sold these exclusively through Sears. They had a Skyline logo on the lid with the skyline of Chicago showing the Sears tower. It also came with a Special condiment Basket which I think Weber used nowhere else. But I maybe mistaken here. In my opinion not a really special grill. It just looks cool. But I still prefer my blue lid.
I restored mine and first thought of keeping it. But I don’t need two large gas grills with all the other gas and charcoal grills I have and I sold it again.

Stefan, I don't think Weber used that exact condiment basket on any other grill, but they did make a standalone pedestal NG grill that used the same basket minus the three little lips on the top front of it which are intended for hanging tools off of. I think maybe that NG one predated the Skyline and they decided to update it with the hooks when they decided to add it to the Skyline grills.

Well, if nothing else owning any Weber Skyline model and participating on this board gives you an automatic, upgraded membership into the exclusive SKYLINE CLUB!

Skyline Club logo.jpg

The Skyline is special to me because of several reasons. I went to grad school and worked for a year in Chicago, and that is where I met my wife. I also have a soft spot for old-time American classics (like Sears) that are fading away. I still have a tool box full of the last Made in USA Sears Craftsman tools that I bought piece by piece the first couple years we were married. Finally, while I like "redheads" very much, I personally prefer "brunettes";). The Skyline logo and pin striping elevate a basic black hood to something special and unique. So, there are people here who have no Chicago or nostalgia connections but who still really like Skylines.

No, other than the condiment basket, they don't offer anything mechanically different from other Webers of that time period. Just another cool oddity from Weber's history.

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

Believe it or not, with a very difficult move facing me, I decided to sell my long in the making Skyline to my friend who also happens to be my boss. I already have a 2.0 version spinning around in my head, and I did keep my Chicago White Sox buckle (which also features the Chicago Skyline). I don't plan to be without a working Skyline for too long! I already have one in reserve for this project, so I still get to retain my membership:coolkettle:.

Last edited:
Well, if nothing else owning any Weber Skyline model and participating on this board gives you an automatic, upgraded membership into the exclusive SKYLINE CLUB!

View attachment 4675

The Skyline is special to me because of several reasons. I went to grad school and worked for a year in Chicago, and that is where I met my wife. I also have a soft spot for old-time American classics (like Sears) that are fading away. I still have a tool box full of the last Made in USA Sears Craftsman tools that I bought piece by piece the first couple years were were married. Finally, while I like "redheads" very much, I personally prefer "brunettes";). The Skyline logo and pin striping elevate a basic black hood to something special and unique. So, there are people here who have no Chicago or nostalgia connections but who still really like Skylines.

No, other than the condiment basket, they don't offer anything mechanically different from other Webers of that time period. Just another cool oddity from Weber's history.

View attachment 4676

View attachment 4677

Believe it or not, with a very difficult move facing me, I decided to sell my long in the making Skyline to my friend who also happens to be my boss. I already have a 2.0 version spinning around in my head, and I did keep my Chicago White Sox buckle (which also features the Chicago Skyline). I don't plan to be without a working Skyline for too long! I already have one in reserve for this project, so I still get to retain my membership:coolkettle:.
Jon,

You have a Sky Line lid in Kentucky.

Bobby

Jon,

You have a Sky Line lid in Kentucky.

Bobby

Hey Bobby, I haven't forgotten that! Things are very rocky for our move right now, but somehow or another we will get there. If I can't stop by on the way, once I am settled I will make a road trip back your way. Not any further than some of my long distance Florida grill adventures!:LOL:

Back