scallops help

Jon Chappel

TVWBB Member
I've been searching for a good grilled scallops recipe. I made some last night by putting on a light coating of oil and old bay seasoning. I cooked them indirect for 10 minutes or so...internal temp of about 140, then loosely foiled. I made some stuffed mushrooms this way, minus the old bay, and the were money. However the scallops did not turn out well. My wife usually pan Sears them and they turn out great every time. Has anyone had any success with scallops? I've never been able to nail scallops on the grill.

10 minutes is a long time. I look to just barely cook through. Depending how high my coal pile is I'm looking at maybe 2-3 min, tops, or less.

If doing several I often skewer them, spacing them slightly on the skewer.

Many like then bacon-wrapped. Not me. Love bacon but to bacon-wrapped scallops.

Try patting dry - they should feel a little tacky - then season both sides. Apply oil over the seasoning. An oil mister is good for this but you can also just paint it on. Immediately sear over high heat on a clean, oiled grate. Flip when nicely colored; cook ill just barely cooked through.

Never cooked em myself. But i guess a HH sear 2 min/side is all they need. 1+ on what Kevin said!

I pan sear mine. Depending on the size of the scallops, might be a tad difficult on the grill unless you're using skewers. I think 10 mins is too long; probably results in a chewy scallop. I cooked these a few months ago and they turned out great.

Paul

Wow. Ten minutes?

When I do scallops, I let them reach room temperature before frying. Then in a well heated pan, preferably a grill pan, I fry no more than four scallops at once, not to lose too much heat, and the 45 seconds to one minute on each side.

If you cook them much longer, they turn into rubbery uninteresting eh, rubber that sort of like tastes fishy. I've eaten that variety as well.

If you are lucky enough to get fresh scallops with the egg bag, fry the egg bag for two seconds. One second on each side. It's wonderful!

When I do scallops or shrimp on the barby, I use a neat little grill pan designed for fish and such. There are several designes that look like baskets, mine however lookes like a large metal pie pan with holes in it. It also has a folding handle. I got it at Amazon.

I agree with the rest, short cook.

I like my scallops all different ways. Sometimes with bacon and sometimes a lite sauce over some high heat for a min or two per side.

Haha that is funny, I made scallops yesterday and posted the photos from my cook today. Check it out here Basically I used lemon pepper and season-all and grilled them on high for a few minutes until they are at about medium, and they turn out great! Hope this helps!

I also only cook then a few minutes on each side and remove them when they are barely done. They continue to cook on the platter.

Ray

It sounds like direct hh is the way to go. I've done them like this before but still have can't beat my wifes pan seared ones. That makes me angry. I guess that's why I tried the indirect method. Thanks for all the help. I'll update next time we do scallops, it could be a while though. We don't do scallops often.

Back