Sausage

Rick H.

How long do you smoke fully cooked sausage.I am picked to cook for a party of 20-25 people I am doing two pork (no problem) but when do I put the sausage on?

At 250º grate temp it won't take long. Make a few holes in it along the way wit a took pick to help avoid the burst open thing. Say 20 min and flip it, and maybe another 15 - 20 min. It won't take long and if you leave it on too long it will burst on you. I like it when it does that but doesn't look as pretty. If your doing butts, put it on right before you pull them and set a timer to run out and flip incase your not done pulling the pork. HTH

Butterfly ya sausage and put some extra granulated garlic in it. Reheat low and slow to knock out some extra grease and get the texture to your liking. As it heats/cooks, taste test until ya like the results. If garlic is not for ya, add creole seasoning, crank it up a notch or three.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick H.:
Awsome-I was going to put it on way before that so 30min. max right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rick, since it's pre cooked, yeah you just want to warm it up enough to eat. If it has the collegen casing on it, the casing will get very tough if you cook it too long. 30-40 min should do it. I always take mine out of the fridg for a 1/2 hr or so before putting it on. If putting it on straight from the fridge you'll need to cook it a little longer.
icon_wink.gif

And depending on the sausage, and the recipe for the day, you could do a beer bath, to bring them up to temp, without drying out the casing, then finish them on the lower grate of the WSM, to acheive the better texture.

I personally like them sizzling, with crackling casings. The plus side of doing a bath is, if there are a few tears in the casing, and there probably are, then you wont dry it completely out during the come up to the temp you want. If there were alot of tears or pokes in the casing, you could loose more juices than you wanted to, just from it dripping ( and burning) as it was cooked out.

It's hard to waste a perfectly good beer though.
icon_frown.gif

Back