Sausage making questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Just purchased a grinder and stuffer and want to try my hand at sausage making, particularly kielbasa brats and maybe franks.

Is Morton's tender quick something thats available in normal grocery stores? I dont ever remember seeing it. I believe it is needed if I wanted to make smoked polish kielbasa. How do I smoke...at what temp and to what temp? Any help would be appreciated.

I know I need to buy a book on the subject.

Jim

Morton's tender quick is available in my local Safeway. You have to search for it. At the store I use it's with the salt but on the very bottom shelf. I don't know if every store carries it or just up here because a lot of people put up salmon.

Griff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I know I need to buy a book on the subject. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea. You don't use Morton's TenderQuick in sausages. It's for brines or for dry cures.

Jim, Get the book i told you about from the other thread. They have it at Allied Kenco.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Thanks guys, Im going onto Kenco's site today and picking up the book as well as #1 & #2 powder. But another question.

Smoking the kielbasa or other sausage. I tried a hotplate in the bottom of the WSM with a full pan of cold water. I placed a small pie plate with a few hunks of hickory to test for temp control and smoke.

Im able to keep the temp steady anywhere from 90 and up. The smoke was very light though, at least at 90 degrees. I know that kenco's site says to have the temps higher and that will probably allow for more smoke but does the hot plate idea sound feasable. Its not much different than Chris' cold conversion "how to".

I got the grinder at Cabela's, the #10. It hasnt come in yet so I cant tell you much at this point. I wanted to get one through Amazon to support the site but the prices and reviews werent what Cabela's had to offer.

Anyone have any good way or contraption to smoke the sausages in a hanging position in the WSM. Im just trying to avoid the grill marks the grates make.

Jim, if you are making them were links are attached to each other, you may be able to use the wing racks that Bayou Classic makes. wing rack Once you go there click to enlarge picture. You can tell what it looks like then.
Just went to Amazon to see if they have them. amazon wing rack Only $5.99! What a bargan.
icon_biggrin.gif
1/3 the price from the other link.

Thats what Im looking for. Thanks Chris. One final question and I will leave the topic alone...besides my book should be comming in any day. When using pork butts for sausage do you remove/trim and discard the layer of fat in the same way you would prep the meat to smoke or do you leave it all on and just cube it up to grind?

I just bought two packets of seasoning for hot and sweet sausage but they make 25#'s each. Any problem with dividing the packs to make half batches?

Jim
Sausage needs fat to keep the texture from being grainy and dry, kinda like eat wood fiber.
So in most cases that fat will be part of the mix. A lot of recipes will call for additional fat.
I have a recipe for Chicken/Turkey Habenero sausage that is tasty if your interested.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
I have a recipe for Chicken/Turkey Habenero sausage that is tasty if your interested.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Why do you tease us so?
icon_wink.gif

Please post it in either the Poultry or Side Dishes Forum.

Regards,
Chris

That just instantly made my mouth water. I imagine sweet pork with hickory smoke and the heat of the pepper sneaking up with a punch. That sausage on a soft bun and a cold beer. Then I would know its the weekend.

Chris
I posted the turkey & Chicken habanero sausage recipe in the poultry section.

I you like hot and spicy Bigwheel's Texas Hot Links are also great, do a search the recipe has been posted.
Jim

Congrats Jim on your new sausage grinder. Another place to get cure for sausage is www.midwesternresearch.com. It is only about 12 miles from me so it's pretty convienent for me. Once you try something other than Tenderquick, you won't even bother trying to find the stuff. Allied Kenco is another good place as was mentioned. I have a grinder my self and I usually make up about 50 to 100 pounds this time of year, depending on if my wife and kids are willing to help. Give a lot away though to friends. Going to try a new jalapeno and cheese combination this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back