Sausage for the smoker

JohnK

This might be a dumb question but I was wondering what the best sausage is to throw on the smoker. I am planning on doing a big smoke this weekend and thought I would add some sausage to it which I have not done before.

For me, virtually any sausage that has not already been cooked or smoked, whether homemade or store-bought.

If you're not up for making the mix yourself, have a Whole Foods in the area (or another place that makes their own), buy a variety of freshly made sausages and try them all.

Thanks, there is a whole foods near me. What type of sausage do you get in most bbq restaurants?

Typically it is a fairly simple pork-, beef-, or pork-and-beef-based mix. Black pepper is the predominant spice, with a modicum of others, garlic and onion are the key aromatics.

Regardless of the ubiquitous hot links sausage served at most BBQ joints, most any fresh sausage can be thrown on the smoker. I've had great results with home-made or store-bought bratwurst and Polish sausage.

The few batches of home-made sausage I've done did include a small amount of quick cure just for that slight edge on safety. The cure probably wasn't needed but it didn't hurt and it provided a nice pink color to the smoked sausage.

I usually buy uncooked rings of sweet Italian sausage or brats. Throw on a pan of chopped onions with some cracked pepper and EVOO to go with them.

Thanks, I purchased some brats and italian sausage at Whole Foods. How long do they take on the smoker?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JohnK:
Thanks, I purchased some brats and italian sausage at Whole Foods. How long do they take on the smoker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not long. So be careful that you don't over cook em. When I do fresh sauge on the WSM, it only takes about 45 min to get done.

The sausage and brisket turned out very good. Thanks for the help. It was a great way to spend fathers day.

Back