sausage and meatballs in sauce

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Ok guys I've got a question. When making meatballs and sausage in sauce what is the time frame for putting in the meatballs so they don't fall apart. I always thought you sear the outside of the meatballs and throw them in the sauce to cook until done. The sausage was easy I just cut them in half and tossed them in.Don't want to end up with meat sauce and no meatballs.

It depends (of course!).

If you are making a meatballs with a fairly light bind then you put them in quite late - just long enough to cook them - or you brown them first then add them to the sauce. They don't take long.

In both cases it is worth making your sauce with some beef flavoring extant. That way you don't rely on the meatballs to add the flavoring (they won't).

If your meatballs are falling apart as a matter of course they either must be browned first (to help hold them together) or, if you've attempted that and failed, the bind is insufficient and you need to increase it at least slightly.

Thanks Kevin. Will try that next time. They turned out pretty decent. My wife liked them. Of course, you know I was the worst critic
icon_wink.gif

Back