Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin

This might sound like a dumb question but when the product is finished couldn't you just wash off the mold and put on a oil finished of some kind.

Myself, I will eat just about anything but if you tell my family the white stuff is mold I would get a bunch of turned up noses.

keep in mind that the mold formed on the casing, which I removed before taking the pictures.

you must have missed the last part:
I was just starting to get some wild molds growing, so I stripped the casings before I vac packed. In the pics, the loins look a little furry from some of the papery casing that adhered to them.

Nice!
btw: Finally checked and my last batch went fifteen days with a 35-40% weight loss at
an average of 63 degrees and 68% humidity.
It's amazing how such little spice can become so intense. My first batch was done with
an Herbs de Provence (commercial blend) and all I could really tastes was the Rosemary.

IMG_5571.JPG

Mighty fine!

Well, It had to happen sometime. After looking at pics of tempting food for over a year on this forum, this picture made my mouth water for the first time. Fantastic!

btw: Finally checked and my last batch went fifteen days with a 35-40% weight loss at

interesting, at 65% of original weight (35% loss) I found it to be still too soft. Its possible that the edges dried out more than they should, but they chewed well, and I can't believe they would account for the big difference.

Mighty fine!

I'm not sure if I'll get through all three loins this holiday season, but rather than me mailing one to you, you're probably going to want to wait for the next batch that I'm sure won't taste so much like baloney
icon_wink.gif

Well, It had to happen sometime. After looking at pics of tempting food for over a year on this forum, this picture made my mouth water for the first time. Fantastic!

High praise my friend! There's nothing like salty, aged meat to get the juices flowing. You will make this yourself, its as easy as bacon.

I finished mine in the fridge and took it out after about 5 weeks. Naturally it was a bit hard on the outside but the taste was fantastic (I rubbed the outside with cracked pepper and Herb de Provonce after rinsing off the cure but before wrapping in cheese cloth). I got to wondering though, what part of this process kills any potential for trichinosis?

I got to wondering though, what part of this process kills any potential for trichinosis?

some things to consider:

1) trichinosis has pretty much been eradicated from commercial pork. Unless you are working with wild meat or pork from a local source, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

2) trichinosis spores do not seem as hardy as bacteria. There are protocols for safely eliminating trichinosis that involve freezing. I have not seen anything like that for bacteria. If trichinosis is a concern of yours, I suggest looking up the time and temp guideline for freezing wild pork.

3) if bacteria can be safely eliminated from cured meats then trichinosis spores should too. The key to killing pathogens is increasing salinity and reducing free water (decreasing pH works too but not in this case). You are turning the meat into a salty desert that is inhospitable to all microorganisms.

Back