Saturday Ribs and chicken

Sandy B

TVWBB Super Fan
On labor day I did ribs that were way overcooked, so much that I convinced myself that I really didnt "like" ribs much anymore. But I had another rack so it was literally smoke them if you got em. This time I cut the spares St-louis style and added a rub that was somewhere between TBRITU and the renowned Mr. Brown. I also added the rub to the big trimmings for the beans. Here are the ribs sans membrane with the rub
temporary_zps0bee8df9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I dont have a rib rack so I used the bamboo skewers

temporary_zps3ed93b99.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

smoked ribs on lower rack, trimmings on upper rack on 18.5 WSM. I used kingsford blue and chunks of cherry. Temps were 250 +/- 10 degrees for the whole thing according to my Maverick. I also smoked some whole jalepenos with the stems cut off to make chipotles. After three hours pulled the " trimmings" cut into small dice and added it to diced red onion, some of the smoked jalapenos ,bush's beans, sweet baby rays and a little webber molasses BBQ sauce. returned to top rack. Brushed some of the weber sauce on the ribs ( good bark)
temporary_zps380477ec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] then back onto lower rack.

My wife and kids are not big rib fans so they wanted chicken so I did beer can chicken on the OTS and also did some drumsticks.
temporary_zps7c701cc7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] the chicken cooked a little quicker than I thought it would. I did throw som cherry chunks onto the coals for giggles. I also made a the Neeley's sweet and spicy slaw with one small change, I added a teaspoon of horshradish ( the one in vinegar, NOT the creamy one)

After adding the sauce on the ribs they were in the 250 smoker for another hour ( along with the beans in cast iron) here they are right before plating
temporary_zpsd7a382c6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

here is beer can chicken breast, beans and coleslaw
temporary_zps5cf1f4b2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Drumstricks and ribs
temporary_zps25d61d3b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and my plate

temporary_zps0cde3730.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

All in all is was WAY better than last time, the ribs were on for about 4.5 hours no foil and they were much better cooked. The beans were really good ( the homemade chipotles were noticable but not overpowering) and the chicken was really good. That being said, I'm still not sure if I will make ribs again, I think that Pork shoulder is way more up my alley. The slaw with the horseradish was really good although I had to drain the slaw as the dressing drew out a whole lot of liquid.

The next thing to hit the smoker will definitely be a pork shoulder.

Food looks great. After over cooking my first 3 racks of ribs I thought the same "do I really like ribs". Did the last rack I had, didn't foil them and they were the best I ever made. After they were tooth pick tender I sauced them and finished them off on the gasser.

Food looks great. After over cooking my first 3 racks of ribs I thought the same "do I really like ribs". Did the last rack I had, didn't foil them and they were the best I ever made. After they were tooth pick tender I sauced them and finished them off on the gasser.

Yeah I was not so sure after the last cook. If I had not bought two racks ( because they were on sale and I'm cheap) its likely I would have not tried them again this year, but like I said smoke em if you got em.

I think these ribs have restored my faith in ribs, or at least convinced me that writing them off now is probably not a good idea.
I still prefer pulled pork but the ribs were by no means bad. The funny thing is that if I go to a restaurant I have NO problem eating a full slab but at home I'm lucky if I can finish 5 ribs.

Even though the ribs were WAY better this time compared to last, the " best" thing from this smoke was the chipotles and the beans with the spare rib " trimmings" which really turned out excellent. We will see how the rest of the beer can chicken does with making chicken salad tomorrow

It all looks good. If you're not sure about the ribs, try baby backs. I might be the minority on here, but I prefer them to St. Louis cut. Maybe just cause I make them more, but maybe you will like them better as well

...oh and chicken salad with smoked/grilled chicken is great

It all looks good. If you're not sure about the ribs, try baby backs. I might be the minority on here, but I prefer them to St. Louis cut. Maybe just cause I make them more, but maybe you will like them better as well

...oh and chicken salad with smoked/grilled chicken is great

I also prefer babybacks over spares and St Louis cuts. Everything looks really delicious Sandy!

Back