Saturday brisket... double cook?

Jim S

TVWBB Fan
Okay, here's the scenario. I've been invited to an overnighter this weekend and I'm bringing a brisket. Thing is, The party is gonna be on Saturday PM, and I need the meat to be ready then.

What I was thinking of doing is to fire up my WSM Friday night after work..~ 6-7PM or so, and let the meat cook all night. I figure a couple of hickory chunks spread through charcoal ala Minion should get it most of the way there. If I do it right, the fire will just be dying off after 12 hrs or so. In the AM, wrap the brisket in foil, then into the Coleman cooler it goes. I figure a few towels in there to hold in the heat wouldn't hurt.

Pack up the cooker, meat, cold beer, girlfreind, and drive to my freinds farm. The drive should be no more than an hour. Fire the WSM back up and give the brisket another few hours under a bit more smoke to finish. Pull it off when it's done and serve. I've done brisket a number of times before, just not with a split cook.

Anyone done something like this before? Possible problems I've not thought of?

Start at 6-7PM exactly as you planned with a full charcoal ring.

Saturday AM check the meat's temp - if it is about 165*, put the meat into a pan and cover tightly iwth foil - then keep cooking until the thermo probe slides in with almost no resistance. At that point maybe add some apple juice to the pan, wrap in towels, put in a cooler and go to the farm.

ENJOY

I'm thinking once I get to the farm, I'll baste the brisket with bourbon mixed with a small amount of rub and mebbe some hoisin sauce. With any kind of luck, I'll get plenty of smoke ring.

Back