Sassafrass anyone?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hello all. Recently got a WSM because of this board, my Brinkman, well, sucked. Anyways, had great luck with Turkey day in nov., can't say enough great things about the apple-brining recipe. Any-hoo, two questions. First, I installed a thermometer in the lid as per mods page, used a ? from amazon, but I can't seem to get cooking temps up. Double checked with my Fluke digital thermometer through lid vent at grate level, over-temp! So, junk thermometer in lid, or am I just trying to BBQ in the wrong season (Upstate NY)?

2nd question- I have some sassafrass lumber that I was thinking of trying a chunk of for smoking, has anyone used it before? I know that some people really like the tea from the leaves, but it is a very strong and distinct smell/flavor. So, if you have used it, on what? And if not, any suggestions to try it out on? Thanks for all the great help from this board as a lurker BTW!

I have used some sassafrass to smoke pork ribs. I only used 1/3 cup of pellets "I think next time I will use more". The people I got the pellets from said sassafrass is mild, good with beef ,pork and poultry.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by UPL:
First, I installed a thermometer in the lid as per mods page, used a ? from amazon, but I can't seem to get cooking temps up. Double checked with my Fluke digital thermometer through lid vent at grate level, over-temp! So, junk thermometer in lid, or am I just trying to BBQ in the wrong season (Upstate NY)? BTW! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yo man and welcome to the board. First off check the rules of engagement? Chris wants first name , last name. Makes for a happier fraternity.

Back to your question. Did you have a wind block up? It was windy even down state. Wind is enemy #1. Second. Did you calibrate your therm.? put in boiling water. If it doesn't say 212 either something's wrong or you're on a different planet?

Let us know man. We'll get your pit tuned.

Oh and BTW, loved the sasafrass brisket I did about a month ago.

Actually, you make tea from the roots! Used to do it all the time as a kid. Supposedly carcinogenic, but there you go.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess first off, Carlton W. here. Rob, yes I have a wind block, unfortunatly I also live in a field and the wind block isn't enough sometimes, so I have been smoking in the garage, door open of course. I have not calibrated the therm. I will give it a try in boiling water as suggested, but if its off, what them. I don't believe it is adjustable. Out of curiosity, what are people using in their lids? I dug up my order with Amazon and found the thermometer here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CGEUN/qid=1108383620/sr=8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl86/102-8956654-9330553?v=glance&s=garden&n=507846

I am going to try some Sassafrass in a couple weeks, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again for all the help/comments.

Carlton

Hi UPL, and welcome to the bulletin board!

One small point...We use real names here on the bulletin board. Please read this topic about display name.

If you have any questions or concerns, please click "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page and send me an e-mail.

Thanks for your attention to this matter,
Chris

I haven't tried sassafrass yet but a friend of mine has. Well one thing he said don't ever use it on fish. He said it was disgusting.

Back