saran wrap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
I read the article about foil-wrapping meat to speed the cooking process. I have to ask what is probably an embarrasing question. Not having a lot of experience with saran wrap-I never could get it to "cling" to anything but itself!!- I wonder what the max temp it will take before it melts and makes a mess of the Q. I wrapped 2 butts
the last time I cooked to speed the process but didn't do the saran wrap. Does it help that much.
Thanks. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Hey Pat!

I second that question. I haven't used plastic wrap even to hold meat because I thought it would melt.

Has anyone had plastic wrap melt on their food before? I would imagine that would be a tragic ending to a great cook.

Pat
My impression is you were going to plastic wrap then foil to speed up the cook, right?
For cooking don't use the plastic wrap just the foil. After the cook plastic wrap and foil for holding in a dry cooler or Cambro.
You can reheat the meat with plastic wrap on keep the heat 260? or less.
Jim

The instructions on the Saran Wrap package clearly state: "Not for use in browning units, conventional ovens, stovetops or toaster ovens."

However, I've watched cooking shows in which chefs wrap items in Saran and place them in a low-temperature oven. I've also watched Paul Kirk wrap homemade sausage in Saran Wrap and foil like a casing, then put it in the smoker for a while to firm up, then remove the wrap and smoke until done. This surprised a lot of people in the class. His comment was that Saran will not melt at normal barbecuing temperatures--it just turns brittle.

In the Pork Butt - Quick-Cooked topic, I used Saran and foil together, but I have also used foil alone with very good results, too. Feel free to use just foil if you prefer.

Regards,
Chris

I have made sausages with saran wrap for many years. I usually do all my sausage cooking around 160 - 180? and have never had a saran wrap melt.

As was mentioned earlier, 260? is the upper temp.

I knew that you guys could clear the air. I will
continue to use only foil as I like to cook at 250
and that is tooo close to the dreaded 260 mark. Thanks Jim for the idea of wrapping with both for heat retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back