Santa Maria Tri-Tip

Forty years grilling and I just realized, I have NEVER done a tri tip! I'm standing with my head hanging in embarrassment! This will be one of the next projects up for a family dinner! Might even be Easter dinner!

I'm a California boy and love our native Q (or grillin)..... Tri-Tip. I've cooked Tri-tip for over 30 years and always looking and trying new recipes. Recipes from friends, cookbooks, cooking and BBQ forums, etc. I've smoked them, grilled them, cubed them, cut them into steaks, cut them up for use in chili, sliced for sandwhiches....... heck, I have 4 in the freezer right now!! And now I think I finally found my "go to" Tri-tip recipe and found it, in all places, on the internet. Thank you About.com American Food!!! I've changed it slightly, but that was just to cut down on the vinegar a bit, added a bit more mustard (I like Dijon mustard) and parsley (for color). It is Awesome!!! Enjoy.

2.5 – 3 lb. Tri-Tip, fat cap trimmed

RUB
1 Tbsp fresh gr. Blk Pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Dried Rosemary
½ Tbsp Paprika
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper

BASTE/MOP SAUCE
1/3 Cup Veg. Oil
1/3 Cup (½ Red Wine, ½ Red Wine Vinegar)
½ Tbsp Dijon Mustard
4 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
1 Tbsp Parsley, Minced

Rub Tri-tip with seasoning, wrap with plastic film and refrigerate for 3 hours. Combine Baste/Mop Sauce ingredients and emulsify with a hand blender or in a blender. Stir in garlic and parsley. Can make a head of time so ingredients can marry. Remove meat from refrigerator and let sit at room temp for at least a ½ hour before putting on grill.

Get enough coals hot for two layer fire inside a Weber. Clean and oil grate. Place Tri-tip on grate and baste with Mop Sauce. Grill for 3 minutes and turn and baste Tri-tip with Mop Sauce again. Turn Tri-tip every 3 minutes and baste each time. Cook Tri-tip to desired doneness. Remove to platter, pour remaining Mop Sauce over Tri-tip, tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 15-20 minutes. Carve against the grain.

Thanks for sharing the recipe Dean. I got 2 nice marinated Tri Tip's from my Wife's Uncle in Washington State. I have cooked one before but never really had the low down on hot they are supposed to be cooked or how they are regularly cooked. It was already marinated Santa Maria style, so when I found your post I wanted to try it. The mop sauce made it phenomenal, the only change I made to it was I substituted olive oil instead of vegetable oil. I also made 3 times as much.

Some people might say that's a touch overcooked, but I'd eat as much of that as allowed - looks great, the veggies too.

Nice smoke ring & sear.

I did this recipe today...my first tri tip and I must say it was delicious!! I will do it, again and again...thx for posting it.

Back