Santa Maria Style Tri-Tip in Tahiti

Karl Repsher

TVWBB Fan
With all of you posting pics of your Tri-Tips I was have major withdrawals, I cooked the last one of my stash several months ago, ...a couple of years ago I talked the butcher at the supermarket into ordering some Tri-Tip, he knew what it was from BBQ'ing in France, but didn't think it would go over too well here, any way, he ordered a couple of cases and the first day we bought 20 and stocked them in the freezer, for a couple of weeks after that whenever we were in the store we would buy two more, it looked like we were the only ones buying them, I tried talking them up to all of my friends, but they weren't interested. Then he labeled them beef for "Beef and Vegetables" and they started disappearing real fast, the Chinese community had found a new cut of beef that was cheaper than what they were using, ...every Thursday he received his meat shipment and every Thursday morning I was there to buy some Tri-Tip before they we all gone, usually the same day, but then about 6 months ago he didn't receive any more, so we've been living off of our stash.

Friday afternoon I saw he had Tri-Tip again, but couldn't buy any until today, there were only 4 left.

68m8.jpg

As you can see they are labeled beef for Beef and Vegetables, this one weighs 2.73 lbs at a cost of $5.60/lb.

7sw6.jpg

This is tonight's dinner seasoned Santa Maria Style, salt, pepper, garlic powder and fresh parsley.

zgvq.jpg

All seasoned, wrapped in plastic and into the fridge for a couple of hours.

10hs.jpg

I'll continue this saga later, gonna grill it on the Genesis.

Thanks for looking,

Karl

All this talk of tri-tip, I'm gonna have to track down some. I don't think I've ever seen it here.... cant wait to see the results

...and thanks for the French lessons, apparently "aiguillette boeuf legume" means beef and vegetables :)

Thanks guys for the kind words and Rick they abbreviated the words on the label, a Tri-Tip is called in French an aiguillette de baronne which roughly translates into a choice piece of meat for a baron, and it's boeuf et egume.

I hope you guys won't be disappointed, there's only one money shot because the sharks were circling, when our niece and nephew heard there was Tri-Tip on the grill, well...,

pkgn.jpg

This one is cooked to medium well for the kids, Tania and I prefer them more rare, ...I whipped up a zucchini concoction with leftovers from the fridge, it surprised me how it turned out, shredded zuccs, carrots, onion, shrooms, some bacon, Gruyere and Emmenthal cheese, held it all together with some flour, oil and eggs, ...quite tasty if I do say so myself and brushed the zuccs with some olive oil and sprinkled with Montreal Steak and on to the grill, ummmm, ...next one will be with the Carne Asada marinade I saw here.

Thanks again for looking,

Karl

Last edited:

Back