1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 beef tri-tip roast or beef sirloin tip roast (2 to 3 pounds)
2 cups soaked hickory wood chips or chunks
2 tablespoons canola oil

Directions
Combine the first 11 ingredients; rub desired amount over roast. Wrap and refrigerate overnight. Store leftover dry rub in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Remove roast from the refrigerator 1 hour before grilling. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Add wood chips according to manufacturer’s directions.
Unwrap roast and brush with oil; place over drip pan. Grill, covered, over medium-low indirect heat for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

Oh Rich, I am soo sorry it took us so long to get to having this delicious recipe of yours.

1653523748637.png

DH did take a picture of it sliced and plated with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. But like I mentioned elsewhere, his phone is giving him problems. The important thing is, we both enjoyed it. It is getting a DELICIOUS!!!! rating from both of us. Thank you so much for posting.

PS I just told DH that Tri-Tip is the only cut of beef I want from now on. lol

Last edited:
Rich, we had this for dinner last night. I don't think it was as good as the first time but still good.

We haven't had much luck finding decent tri tips lately. Even Costco haven't had any in a while.
Next one I get I'm going to spin it and see how that comes out.

Michael C just did one and it looks pretty good.

Our tri-tip had been in our freezer for about 10 months. MAYBE that might have been the trouble with it last night.:unsure:

Back