Sandblasting the fire box and end caps for $75

BillSmith

TVWBB Pro
There’s a person in FB marketplace offering sandblasting service. To do the firebox (outside) and the end caps (outside), the rate will be $75 for the three items.

It seems fair to me and I don’t have to deal with scrubbing. The other option is to forgo this and just paint over the existing surface. $75 is a lot of you are trying to resell the grill but I have no interest in that.

If it was flipper I probably would not invest that much into it, but if it is a keeper I would definitely consider it.

I get a Silver B done for $20 inside and out and end caps for $10 each.

Yah, I would not pay that much for rehabs probably, especially without the inside, but for a keeper, yah sure.
Check around your area. You might get a better deal. Look for outfits that do Powder Coating as they generally do blasting as well.

That may be pushing it for rehabs, but the alternative (grinder tool risks, inhaling aluminum dust and time) aren't that attractive, either. I agree with Samuel for sure that for a personal grill it would be a good deal. Of course, on a personal use grill - not one of my dream museum exhibits - grinding or sandblasting really is overkill. Once you fire it up a few times you will never know you spent the $75. If you are going to use it, I say pressure wash if you can or otherwise clean it up thoroughly and GRILL on it!

There’s a person in FB marketplace offering sandblasting service. To do the firebox (outside) and the end caps (outside), the rate will be $75 for the three items.

It seems fair to me and I don’t have to deal with scrubbing. The other option is to forgo this and just paint over the existing surface. $75 is a lot of you are trying to resell the grill but I have no interest in that.

Bill, shop around.

Bill, shop around.

Will do.

Once you fire it up a few times you will never know you spent the $75. If you are going to use it, I say pressure wash if you can or otherwise clean it up thoroughly and GRILL on it!

The main thing I care about is the white stuff on the outside of the box. Will that come off with pressure washing? I don’t see any gouges in the paint so the other option is to clean the outside thoroughly and repaint it instead of stripping it down to bare metal.

I get a Silver B done for $20 inside and out and end caps for $10 each.

Yah, I would not pay that much for rehabs probably, especially without the inside, but for a keeper, yah sure.
Check around your area. You might get a better deal. Look for outfits that do Powder Coating as they generally do blasting as well.

I thought $75 was not a bad deal considering that the guy says it will take him a few hours to do the work. $40 is a great deal! I’ll contact a few more places.

I have used a sand blaster some over the years and it makes quick work, not sure how I could spend hours on such a small amount, even using fine sand and a quart cup I would bet less than 1 hour as long as the air compressor was decent, doing thin panels can take a bit so you don't warp them , its great you can still get new parts for old Weber grills but a shame Apple stops support on phones after 5 lol

I have used a sand blaster some over the years and it makes quick work, not sure how I could spend hours on such a small amount, even using fine sand and a quart cup I would bet less than 1 hour as long as the air compressor was decent, doing thin panels can take a bit so you don't warp them , its great you can still get new parts for old Weber grills but a shame Apple stops support on phones after 5 lol
Yah, I take 5 or 6 cook boxes with end caps to my guy at a time. I don't think he spends but an hour or two doing them all.

Yah, I take 5 or 6 cook boxes with end caps to my guy at a time. I don't think he spends but an hour or two doing them all.
That's the arrangement the guy I am going to try out agreed with me to do. If you give them some time and allow them to work you in as "filler" I think they are more willing to be flexible.

Correct. It does take time to set everything up and get dressed up for doing the blasting. If you bring in more parts to have done or you allow them the flexibility to do yours with a batch of other orders, they are more apt to give you a discount. I usually wait a week to get my stuff back.

$75 for what I understand is just the outside of the ends and firebox seems high. Are most people just getting the outsides done and not the insides?

I get both done, but that is for rehab/flips. Customers like to see that totally clean inside, while serious grillers know that it will just get gunked up in a month anyway.

I get inside and outside firebox and end caps blasted for a total of 30 bucks. Sometimes I’ll take more than one firebox, but not always, but I always specify that I am in no hurry and I think, like others have said, he just uses iit as a filler project.

I'm in the suburbs of Boston so it's not like I have oodles of sandblasting places to check out. Many of them are near industrial towns which means an hour round trip to drop off the goods while this guy is the next town over.

I noticed one sandblasting company listing a bunch of mediums like walnut shells, steel shot, corn cobs, etc. Do you ever specify a medium?
After they blast your components, can they reuse the medium and if so, how does it get cleaned between uses?

Has anyone had their firebox/end caps powder coated by a place?

I have seen where members had their cook boxes powder coated. I have yet to ask my guy what the price would be though. I just assumed it would be too expensive.

Look for Powder coating outfits when searching for a sand blasting outfit.

I got my firebox and end caps done inside and outside for $50 a few weeks ago. $75 seems high especially if they’re not going to do the inside.

My guy also provisionally quoted me $50 for a firebox and two endcaps. He also does powder coating, so I am hoping to give him a shot at that on my 1960's PK grill.

Back