Sand vs water -side by side test

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMcK

TVWBB Fan
Sat. night I did the test. I used equal amounts of Kingsford in each WSM (one full chimney + equal leftovers from last cook). My aim was to cook chicken parts at around 300* to see if I could get crisper skin. Since I wanted a higher temp I just over half filled one water pan with sand and put foil on top of it to catch the drippings. In the other pan I put one quart of apple juice and enough water to fill it to a little over half, now I deserved a beer.
I had four chicken breast halves and eight thighs which I brined (2 hours for the breast's, 1 1/2 hrs. for the thighs).
At 6:00 I started the fires and removed the chicken from the brine. Towelled off the chicken and let it air dry 'till 6:30 when I assembled the cookers with all vents open full and had another beer while I prepped the chicken with 'stuff'.
At 7:00 the lid temp on the water WSM was 350* and in the sand WSM I had a polder on the top rack which read hot -oops. I was now stuck with switching the lid probe back and forth. I spread the chicken equally on both top grates and put the lids on. -yup, beer time
I wasn't sure what the sand temp was so I put the lid probe there first. Ten minutes later it read 300*, I switched to the water unit and it was very close to the same. For the first half hour I switched the therm back and forth and both WSM's remained incedibly stable -or was it the beer.
At 8:30 I did my first inside check on the water WSM and found the internal temps to be slightly hotter than the sand. The sand unit was 160* in the breast and 170*'s in the thigh's. I wish I had done my check after the first hour. (what was I thinking, chicken..oven..300*) I sauced 'em, put the lids back on and paced back and forth, to the fridge for a beer, 'cause I felt they should be coming off the grills. Fifteen minutes later I had both top grills in the kitchen to check the temps in a more scientific environment -ya right! The temps for the sand chicken (not a racial slur) were far more consistant, both breast's 160* the thighs were hard to measure but felt done, the water cooked were a little hotter internal, 165* & 170* for the breast's. I had a couple of 'I can't wait' bites and they tasted real good -skin success! I put the chicken on seperate plates and foiled them for a little 10 minute rest -had another beer.
I tried testing for taste and tenderness with friends and there was no clear winner. The skin wasn't like 'grilled' crisp but it was better than anything I've done at 225* even with foiling. The spiced brine was not percectible but the meat was moist and flavorful. The skin was darker and had some crispness that was real good.
All and all, I like the sand. It was a lot easier to deal with, especially clean up, and seemed to cook more evenly. Since I still had lot's of coals left in the two units, I did what any beer thinking man would do, I put the coals together, added some fresh ones and threw on two pork butts with the sand assembly. If yer gonna do a test... The pork that came of the next day was moist and awesome. I'm a converted sandman.
All the best,
Dave

Hey Bruce, how are ya?
Ya know up here we like like our beer to have more taste than bubble water, eh? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
All the best

David... I would love to come over to your house to help you the next time...as long as you have twice the amout of beer on hand...sounds like fun (the beer part at least) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Seriously though, I think I am going to try the sand method from the get go...it just seems easier knowing you can eliminate "one of the hassels" from a cook. I know that many years ago, my father used to have cookouts where he actually started a bonfire in a hole, filled with rocks.. When the rocks got real real hot, he used to put a salt packed beef in the hole with the bolders (fire was out), cover the bolders around the salt packed beef, and bury everything with sand for 10 or so hours. My mother told me everyone loved it as the best meet they had tasted. I never tried it, but the principle of using sand (and bolders) at least has been around a long time and I will try thte sand part, thanks to you.......oh, and also, I will drink the beer like you to help assure success Thanks ole buddy

Hey Robert,
How 'bout we do a test to see 'A' -how many beer...I mean how many chicken breast's you have to cook untill they come out crisp and moist and 'B' -how many beer it takes to get the desired effect? You in? Come on over -I got beer!
Dave

Hey Robert- That's the same way the Hawaiians traditionally cook wild boar (or these days a domesticated pig) for a luau. They use lava rocks, and wrap the boar in Ti leaves, but the it's basically the same method.

Also the origin of the term "pit" barbecue.

Dave, if during the winter, I did not live in warm, sunny, tropical SE winds, swimming, fishing, golfing outdoor life and trying my first WSM BBQ, I would love to visit you for beers and BBQ. Your city is one of the cleanest prettiest city I have ever been in...as an example, I was walking in Vancover many years ago with my frinds smoking (at that time, I have quit since) and went to throw the ciq butt in the street. Streets were so clean I felt guilty if I threw a butt in the gutter. I had to walk 2 blocks before I saw another cig butt in the gutter (probably some other american tourist).. georgeous city. Anyway, I am going to the beach with my two boys today to fish and I am going to bring a bag to put sand in to try the sand method. I just think removing "one more little hassle of adding water" is worth a shot. Oh, and I have to buy come more Corona (no limes as I am not a Yippie, Yuppie, Jet set (or whatever they call those lime and beer guys) to assure the sand and BBQ works well.

Robert,
If you like BBQ and Vancouver you gotta be alright! You noticed my work downtown did ya? It keeps me fairly busy cleaning up after everyone but I take pride in my work. Hey, if we get the 2010 olympics it might be a good excuse to come over for a BBQ. Everyone's invited!
Even tho it's been great motorcycle weather here, I think I'd rather help you and your boy's bag sand, fish and drink some Corona's with ya.
All the best, and hey, what cha cookin'?
Dave

Trying to get up the courage /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif to cook a brisket (7 lbs). Vacilating between sand or water but will probably do sand as I have not read one person saying it was not as good as water. Also, with learning and cooking on a virgin /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (or is it politicaly correct to say pristine?) cooker, the less variables I have to worry about (ie, replacing water etc) the better. As to fishing in Fl, if you be here you be welcome to visit. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I have never cooked brisket over sand and my thought was that for that length of cook that the extra moisture from water in the pan would help keep the moisture up. Stogie replied that he uses sand for brisket with no noticeable difference. Go for it Robert and let us know how it goes.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back