Sand or Water???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg - the difference between the offset and running the WSM with sand in the pan is that you're going to have radiant heat coming up off that sand within an inch or two of the bottom of your brisket. We have a trailer rig too, so I understand what your cousin is telling you. With water in the pan, this problem doesn't arise. Now remember that this is just based on my own experiences with sand, but both times I did brisket on the bottom with sand in the pan (about 2/3 full), with fat side up, without flipping for the entire cook, I wound up with a very hard "crust" about 1/2 inch deep on the flat. I find that cooking fat side down at least half the cook protects the leaner meat from this radiant effect, allowing your butt on top to still drip and baste the brisket successfully (I LOVE it when that happens!). In the offset the heat is coming from off to the side, and you don't have that direct radiant action hitting it from underneath.

The only way to tell is to try it, though - we could all start off with identical meats, rubs, and smokers, and wind up with completely different end products. You might not have that radiant sand heat problem a'tall - you'll just have to try it out and see.

As far as the sand in the pan, I, like most of the others, fill the WSM waterpan with sand about 2/3 full, then cover the top of the sand with a sheet of wide heavy duty foil.

Let 'er rip, and have fun! Take pictures, too. We like pictures of cooking sessions.

Keri C, smokin'on Tulsa Time

Keri, your method makes sense to me...perhaps my cousin isn't up to speed as to how the WSM is set up(to bad for him /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

I will take your advise, perhaps adding a flip or two here and there, but, I wouldn't want to get the 1/2 inch crust!!

Thanks again...starting up in t-minus 12 hours and counting!!

Keri,

Hard to burn sunshine when it is raining like a small sized monsoon here in Cleveland /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif!

Besides, I'm trying to shoot for an early afternoon finish on Sunday so I will be starting around 9pm or 10pm tonight. But I am excited to get going. Didn't smoke last weekend because I was out if town!

Pics to roll in as it develops!

Greg:

I be watchin' ya as best I can. Planning on similar next weekend, brisket and butt. I am takin' notes and those pictures will help. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back