Sand in the Pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefft

TVWBB Member
Has anyone else had problems with high temps when using sand in the pan? I have the larger water pan filled almost to the top with sand, and I have no problems as long as the temps stay low (200-240). But when the temps rise above, say 250, I get the runaway train effect, where I cannot seem to get the temps down. My temps run up to about 270-290, even if all the bottom vents are closed. One thing to note is that my smoker is not heavily filled with meat, and this may affect things. The sand just seems a bit more touchy at the higher temps, while it is pretty steady at low temps.

Anyone else have similar experience?

Jeff

You may need to shut your fire down earlier so that there is less time at the higher temperature. I'm sure the outside temperature will help raise the overall temperature too. Using some shade and a smaller fire would be helpful.

Yes, I had a very similar problem the first and only time I used sand. I guess I'll try it again some time - since so many seem to have done well using it.

I have never had a problem with the sand spiking on me.

Here is what I have learned over the years.......

Control the WSM from the bottom up...start closing your vents BEFORE reaching your cooking temp.

Put your meat on immediately out of the fridge. Your smokering will improve but even more important, it helps to control the temps on the way up.

Watch the rate of ascent and then determine how soon you need to close them down. In the winter I can shut them down near 200? and not overshoot 225?. In the warmer months, I need to start shutting them at 180? to slow the ascent.

Don't be afraid to close the top vent....to the width of a Polder probe is about as much as you will need. I have had to do this with many cooks and have never suffered from creosote on my meat.

I'd look somewhere besides sand for the explanation, Jeff.

Here's my guess. I suspect you fired up your WSM with partially burned briquets from a previous cook next to the charcoal grate, a new layer of briquets on top of that, and briquets from your chimney on top of that as a version of the Minion method. If this is correct so far, then what I think may be happening is that, especially when you are cooking at higher temps, an hour or two into the cook the bottom charcoal ignites (when it otherwise wouldn't). It creates a lump charcoal effect because it more closely resembles lump than briquets, burning hotter than it would under a more restricted oxygen supply.

If you have an excessive amount of partially-used charcoal from the previous cook, either lay the partially used on top of new charcoal so it burns first or, better, fire the chimney with it. See then if you don't have more even temps, eliminating altogether an almost predictable spike part way into the cook.

High temps are a problem in the summer if the cooker is put in direct sunlight. For summer cooks I use less initial charcoal and I use the Minion method of cooking. Stogie is correct about watching the ascent of the temperature and closing down the vents before the temp gets to 225.

Definitely do not be shy about closing the top vent some to reduce the temp. This past weekend I cooked 2 slabs of loin back ribs using only the top rack and a Brinkmann pan filled with water. I started with about 20 - 25 lit briquettes on top of less than a 1/2 ring of charcoal. Added some cherry wood and added the ribs. Waited till the cooker came up to 220 and closed the bottom vents. The bottom vents were left closed for the entire 6 hour cook. The WSM held a constant 230 for the next 3 hours. I opened the cooker to foil the ribs. When I closed the cooker and let it settle out, the temp jumped to 260 and held. The only way that I could get back to 225 was to close the top vent halfway. Temp went to 225 in about 15 - 20 minutes and held till the cook finished 2 1/2 hours later. Ribs were great with no sooty taste. There was virtually no smoke coming out of the top vent at the time it was closed 1/2 way.

I have found that using my WSM in the summer time on my back patio in full sunlight makes getting 225 a difficult task. The big solutions for this problem is to use less charcoal in the chamber and partially close the top vent. I never have poor tasting meat from the partially closed vents. Also at the end of the cook I had some charcoal and wood chunk still in the chamber. Probably could have cooked another 1 - 2 hours!

Hope this helps!

S.C. Que

Thanks for the replies.

Dean, you are correct in your assumptions that I am using a large amount of "used" charcoal. This may be the source of my heat spike. I will rearrange my charcoals on future cooks.

Up to now, I have been dreadfully scared of closing the top vent, but the advice of Kevin and Barry tells me that I should not be so scared. Being that we are in heavy June Gloom in SoCal right now, the sun is not an issue. One additional air gap that I have is running my Polder wire under my lid, which I should also consider when controlling temps.

Thanks to all,
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back