Sam's- Costco, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade G

TVWBB Fan
I have noticed in lots of posts that folks are pleased with the meat they get at Sam's/Costco. I had a Sam's membership for a brief while, but never scoped out the whole place or took advantage of it. I didn't know they had meat(s).

Based on what has been said here, I am thinking of rejoining Sam's or Costco.

A few questions:

1) Is the meat fresh in the Cryovac, or is in a freezer case that you would have to thaw later?

2) If I primarily do Butts and ribs-- which would be better Sam's or Costco? (subjective I know)

3) Are the meats Sam's brand, or are they retailing someone elses? If it is someone elses, what are good names to look for?

the last butt I did, I purchased at a butcher shop. paid $.99 per pound, but it was a little bit of a hike from my house.

Preciate the input.

I can't speak for Sam's or Costco because I go to BJ's - same thing though.

1- Fresh
2- BJ's /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
3- It isn't BJ's brand - but there is only 1 to choose from - don't remember the actual brand though.

In general, I can tell you we use our BJ's membership a lot - we are there constantly, and not only for BBQ meats and supplies. 44# of Kingsford charcoal for < $10 - and now they have a gas station where gas is anywhere from 4 to 10 cents cheaper than other local stations.

I think you would find a membership very beneficial!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick Moore:
[qb] I can't speak for Sam's or Costco because I go to BJ's - same thing though.

1- Fresh
2- BJ's /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
3- It isn't BJ's brand - but there is only 1 to choose from - don't remember the actual brand though.

In general, I can tell you we use our BJ's membership a lot - we are there constantly, and not only for BBQ meats and supplies. 44# of Kingsford charcoal for < $10 - and now they have a gas station where gas is anywhere from 4 to 10 cents cheaper than other local stations.

I think you would find a membership very beneficial! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My local BJ'S doesn't carry butts anymore /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

I have to find a new source

1 Sam's - fresh in styro tray or in cryovac.
2 We only have Sam's here.
3 Sam's butts and briskets are IBP, which is now owned by Tyson Foods. Butts are currently $1.08/lb, two to a cryo pack.

Thanks all for the insight. We may in fact have BJ's in North GA, I just haven't heard of it.

Doug-
It doesn't sound like I got crushed on the price at 99 cents/lb. except for the extra gas and traffic it took to get there!

Costco sells a 'bonelss shoulder'. It would appear that some folks prefer a bone in butt.

Does Sam's carry the bone in variety?

Our Costco's butts (shoulders) are boneless. Shouldn't be a problem, huh? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Mark

Yah, Costco recently went to the "boneless" butts across the board, perfect if you are doing the boneless Mr. Brown recipe (cutting it down the middle). I am currently trying to get them to go "bone-in", via suggestion cards (that's what the Costco butcher recommended doing).

Sam's has bone-in, which I prefer...so I buy all my butts from them. Currently prices are a little high on butts, but I've gotten them at Sam's for typically $.99 lb, and as cheap as $.88.

For ribs, I think the quality is fine in cryovac from either Sam's or Costco, I buy both, and they both run around $1.79 lb. for spares. The diff is that Sam's sells them in 3 packs, and Costco is in 2 packs...which I prefer, since I usually do an even number of slabs.

I usually buy chicken thighs at Costco too, the big pack.

Most of Sam's stuff where I am is there brand (Makers Mark or something like that), however twice I bought baby backs that were Armour brand. Never got anything bad from them.

If Sam's is selling Maker's Mark, now that's a whole different ballgame!!!

It may vary by region, but what is the yearly fee to join one of these places?

Additionally, is there enough value in joining it just for the meat supply? We don't have kids, so it's not like I will be stocking up on other things.

I'd say for Qing alone that a Sam's or Costco membership would pay for itself, we don't have kids either but we do have memberships at both. Their prices on rectangular aluminum pans is the best in town, as well as their price on Kingsford charcoal @ $10.50 for a 2x24lb. pack.

Of course we buy so much other stuff there that it's definitely worth it, I just bought my tires at Costco.

Just a note on Sams...if you don't see what you want out front....ask. Alot of times my Sams cuts up their butts for country style ribs. Somtimes they put the butts out, sometimes they don't, but they always have them in back.

Wade...

Better plan on paying $35.00. For a company membership, I believe I had to show them corporate papers issued by the State of Indiana! Not real sure about this as I have joined several of these corporate plans at various retailers. Anyway, $5 is no big deal!

I truly believe you will cover your entire membership cost in 2 trips if you buy meat.

Also, my local Sam's does indeed sell booze...not sure about Maker's Mark, but they have a pretty good selection at our place. I can buy my Sapphire gin for about $7 less than any other liquor seller in town. And believe me...I buy more than 5 bottles in any given year!

Yeah, I wondered how I get a corporate membership without being a company.

Turns out the nearest one is a hike from my house, but perhaps worth it for the savings.

Now, I need an outside freezer! I should just add that to "the list"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back