Salvage or Save Unusually short Genesis?

BrandonHudson

TVWBB Fan
It has been lean times here for grills and the pricing is just hardly viable for a flip that requires anything more than a polish and paint.

I came across this Genesis Silver. Natty Gas. Side burner. Great.

BUT the firebox has a huge bulge in the side. Not sure how they managed it, but it looks like a golf ball pushing through.
PXL_20210901_153418300~2.jpgPXL_20210901_153409966.jpg

The grill is also extremely short. I don't understand what is going on here, but this thing is a good 3 inches lower than my 05 Genesis. Was that an older model thing? This is an 02, so not that old...

Thoughts on selling this with the bulging firebox? I think it's viable, but don't want to put out a bad product.PXL_20210903_181931276.jpgPXL_20210903_181919252.jpg

It has been lean times here for grills and the pricing is just hardly viable for a flip that requires anything more than a polish and paint.

I came across this Genesis Silver. Natty Gas. Side burner. Great.

BUT the firebox has a huge bulge in the side. Not sure how they managed it, but it looks like a golf ball pushing through.
View attachment 37230View attachment 37231

The grill is also extremely short. I don't understand what is going on here, but this thing is a good 3 inches lower than my 05 Genesis. Was that an older model thing? This is an 02, so not that old...

Thoughts on selling this with the bulging firebox? I think it's viable, but don't want to put out a bad product.View attachment 37222View attachment 37229
Hi Brandon, The cart models are shorter than the cabinet models in that era.
The bulge is common. Weber doesn’t cover the bulge under warranty

Any idea what causes it? I've dealt with bowed front, but never there.

Is it a structural concern? I'd assume at this point if it was going to fail it would have

That’s easy to do. I destroyed mine years ago. Too much heat in the fire box and they bulge and warp. You can easily replace the cook box by finding a donor grill. Or just use as-is.

Is it a structural concern? I'd assume at this point if it was going to fail it would have
Check to see that cooking grates don’t fall into the firebox. If they do you could try your luck with Weber.

A localized grease fire can do that. I had a ‘05 Platinum where you could see the spot where the fire had been on the lower part of the firebox and which also had a bulge in the side just like the one posted. That grill is still cooking, although a small set of grates might have been at risk of falling or at least being loose because the box was no longer even.

I think it is the result of a bad burner directing heat there. Probably not a hazard if the burner issue is corrected with new burners. I think you will notice the location of that bulge is right where the Flavorizer bars direct heat out each end.

Thanks for the info. I've seen the bow on the front, but never on the side. The flavorizor theory makes sense. I bet the fact that it is natural gas has something to do with it too. Prolonged run time is much easier when you have an unlimited supply of gas.

Guess I'll swap the valves to my spare propane set and get this one back out the door.

I have seen several of my rehab grills with a bulge on the side. However they were usually wider and less pronounced.

I find Weber grills overall are lower to the ground than other brands. For instance, my Summit Platinum is 3” lower than my Broil King Regal.

I am happy to say that my 05 SS Platinum frankengrill is not only higher with the cabinet frame, but also higher because I shoehorned a deep box into it. I think it is 37" high at grate level, which is a really nice.

The cooktop on my Silver B is 32 inches high.

So closer to table height (30") than counter height (36").

That's just how they were made.

Back