salty problem

Davo

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi there folks,

I've been around on these forums now since early this year and have noticed many speak about the amount of salt they put on their meat wether it is in a rub, brining or just before they slap it on the grill.

Yesterday I made some burgers to cook on the performer and I did put in some sea salt (cooking salt) into the mixture, maybe a bit less than a TBS in 2 pounds of beef mince, but also used a fair few dry spices such as onion powder, garlic flakes, a bit of piripiri powder and about a TBS of Worcestershire sauce (L&P's).I only used a little of all thos spices so as not to overpower the minced beef.
I did however just shaked a little more of the salt over the top of the burger patties just before i placed them on the grill.
Do think that this is overkill with the salt?

Do you think that just putting W sauce into the mix would be enough salty taste?

The reason I'm asking is because my wife complained that they were too salty but I didn't think so and she said that it's best to lay off the salt in the cooking process as once it's in there, you can reduce it where-as if you put the salt on the food after it's cooked you can control the salt taste. Is this reasonable? My wife is so salt sensitive these days and a few of our friends have had blood pressure problems but i still think minced beef needs salt....but maybe it's just me
icon_confused.gif

Davo
I generally add a pinch or 2 to a kg. I always sprinkle a little on the meat just before cooking.
I use Sea salt that I have ground up into small flakes with my mortar and pestle.
I don't use cooking salt. Ordinary sea salt is much to coarse for a fine chap like me.
I always recommend that you add a little salt to the top of the meat before cooking. Every-time I have grilled food and think - "this is missing something" it will be salt. The salt enhances the flavour.

Regards

The salt enhances the flavour.(quote from Phil H.)

Exactly Phil!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Salt is a very important ingredient but it seems that I've been putting salt with other ingradients that are also salty such as worcestershire sauce and then i grate some salt on the surface just before i put it on the grill but it's too salty for SWMBO.

I like putting in W sauce in the mince mixture as it gives it some flavour but also gives it a bit of moisture so it's easier to work with.
I could leave out the sauce and use some oil or maybe an egg or 2 that might do it but i reckon it could be bland.

Phil, when you make burgers, do you use a filling such as breadcrumbs or oats?
If the mince is a bit down on quantity, i often use Uncle Tobys Oats to make it go a bit further.
I seen that in a show once and thought it was a good ides to use up the oats i didn't eat in the cooler months...I'm a porridge man in winter.
Don't mind the weavels..they put a bit of body into the tucker
icon_wink.gif

cheers

Davo

Davo
I usually use half sausage mince and half good quality beef. I will use some bread crumbs as a filler, minced up garlic and onion (blender),Minced up carrot as a sweetener mix of tomato and Worcestershire sauces some screaming seeds rub to taste and bind it with an egg or two. A touch of salt to taste sprinkled on just before cooking. Put a dent in the centre . Its a good idea to keep it reasonably dry as a lot of fat comes out when cooking. I have taken to cooking them on the grill sheet - it works a treat. Good sear marks and no burning.
Those grill sheets are on special at Aldi's for about 10 bucks.

Cheers

Davo, 1T in 2lbs of gr beef is too much salt in MY opinion considering you are adding woos and salting the top prior to grilling, but, YOU are the one eating it so my opinion doesn't matter.

Your wife on the other hand did find it salty. You don't need to add salt to meat pre cook. I think it's nicer to have a bit mixed in especially if you make thick burgers, but not necessary. I keep my patties to about 3/4". Somtimes I buy premade patties with no salt added, those I salt after the flip.

All you need to do is reduce the salt (try 1 tsp), or only salt the tops before grilling as you do or leave it out entirely and salt at the table. You can always add more to your own, but you can't take it out once it's in.

Another option, when you are mixing it take her pattie meat out before you mix in the salt. Make your patties with salt added and hers without.

If you leave it out entirely, when you pull the burgers take your patties, sprinkle on salt as desired, wrap in a foil pack and let it sit for 5 minutes ... the crystals will dissolve and it'll be nicer than salting your meat just prior to eating and crunching salt.

Lots of win-win options ... unless your wife is harping on you about your salt intake ... can't help you with that but you have my sympathies
icon_smile.gif

Davo

Hey mate - Here's a challenge do 4 burgers from the same mix:
1 with salt added to the mix
1 with salt added to the mix and salted before the cook,
1 just salted before the cook, and,
1 with no salt

The smart money will be on the burger that is just salted before the cook. Let us know the results if you do it.

Regards

Looks like you're in really good hands. I'll just add that my first impression was - yeah, way too much salt to start. And I like salt. For two pounds of meat that you mention I would have been adding perhaps 1 to 2 t's not T's. Then adding after cooked. Otherwise I taste, I'm not afraid of raw ground meat if it's fresh.

One thing to consider,

you will often come across people who ask "how much of this, how much of that" seeking the elusive equilibrium of cooking "spice". It's not that there isnt an attractive balance that appeals to the majority, there certainly is: just research allrecipes.com for that to become evident. Then you will hear others who swear by "what tastes right for you is whats right"

ironically both have an element of truth, its my personal belief that alot of this has to do with your tastebuds, or rather, how many you actually possess. (and i suppose, a fair amount of personal preference too..but how much is the question)

The average person has 10,000 taste buds. You can lose up to 50% of your tasting ability as you age, or as other chemical changes take place in your body, tobacco can be a reason, there are many others. There are even such people as "supertasters", those whose tastebuds are more sensitive, or who have exponentially more tastebuds to be picky with (my wife, as an example).

I chewed tobacco for 9 years, as a result i need quite a kick to get me going, my wife on the other hand needs substantially less to feel the same impact.

so the real question is,

who are you cooking for?

with that being said, i agree with Phil.

icon_biggrin.gif

Thankyou everyone for your advice and contribution.....wow...now I KNOW where I went wrong....I must've read the 'T' wrong.

I do tend towards salty foods due to the fact I've been a smoker for the best part of my life and I have to have strong tasting foods to give me a kick along too sometimes.
Next batch I will not put any salt in the mix and just lightly salt the outside before grilling.

Cheers

Davo

Back