Salt Free Rubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Has anyone ever had to deal with not being able to eat salt? I've been told by Dr. to limit salt for high blood pressure. This really sucks but I'm not about to give up BBQ. I can try some rubs and just leave out the salt, but I was wondering if anyone had some good recipies that I could try. Basically, I'd be happy if I could at least find something for ribs.

I concoct my own basic rub for pork from paprika, cayenne, black pepper, and granulated garlic. I've used a modified version of this finishing rub on ribs in the past with good results by omitting the sugar and halving the salt. Perhaps you could use a salt substitute instead.

Jerry - I'm in the same situation as of recently. I was doing the typical guy thing : not going to the doctor. I wouldn't recommend it.

I picked up a copy of "The No-Salt Cookbook" when I saw it included some barbecue recipes. Theres recipes for a steak sauce, a "Texas Style" barbecue sauce and a couple of others. They also have a pulled pork recipe including a rub.

I haven't tested these yet, but they look like a good place to start. I'm not about to give up the Q, but everything in moderation. I figure if I'm a good boy all week I can treat myself on the weekend.
icon_razz.gif

Be sure to share your experiences.

Joel

Oh another thing - regarding Dougs well meant suggestion about salt substitutes. I notice that some blood pressure meds warn AGAINST using salt substitutes.

Joel

Ok, I'm getting confused here when it comes to heart related concerns.

Medications using nitrates are used to relieve angina (heart pain). Wood smoke introduces nitrates (nitrites?) to the meat revealing a splendid smoke ring. This is not something I am personally dealing with yet, but it could happen. I do have some friends that struggle with heart related issues and I'd hate to think that I may contribute to their discomfort.

Do we have an MD on the list? Is there anyone around that can check it out? Am I again engaged in "much ado about nothing?".

So,

1.) does smoking introduce nitrate, or nitrite?
2.) which compound is regarded as harmful for heart issues?
3.) does smoking introduce sufficient quantities to be of concern?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I've been going to the doctor. Now I think I actually have to start listening to her. My heart started doing this funny (no so) dancing thing. All tests came out fine, but the BP was way too high. I never thought it could cause that much havic.

I'm not giving up Q even if I have to just baste in apple juice and use a salt fee sauce.

Thanks for the cook book idea. I'll check it out. My first thought is just to cut way back on the salt. I think it's sorta necessary for good Q, but I don't think as much is needed as is in most rub recipies.

The tuff thing about cutting back salt is all the hidden stuff in other foods. It lurks everywhere. Check those labels!

One my favorite seasonings lately is balsamic vinegar. Can we work this in to a sauce? Hmmmm.

Joel

Joel, balsamic vinegar is good stuff. Why not experiment with your favorite BBQ sauce by cutting some in till you get the taste and balance that YOU like.Thanks for the idea. Thats the important thing is making what you like. Just cause i like the #2 rub from texas BBQ rub does'nt mean everybody will.(i really like that stuff) Sometimes i think we rely on what other people like too much. JMO. Give up salt, i dread when that day comes.
icon_frown.gif
My heart goes out to you guys).No punn intended, Later Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back