Salt/ Cornstarch to freezer to grill?

Thom E

TVWBB Member
I found this on Chowhound
and this on Cooks.

Basically, Salt and Cornstarch, bring to freezer for 30 minutes, off to the grill.

I'm thinking of salting the steaks, bring them up to room temp for an hour, then sprinkle cornstarch and place in the freezer for 15 minutes, then off to the grill.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't think that would be necessary if your steaks are thick -- 1.5 inch or more. The key is that the surface of the steak is dry. I've salted 20 minutes before grilling, then patted dry with paper towel, peppered and grilled. Great results, esp. using the reverse sear method.

I saw this a few days ago on Americas Test Kitchen, and decided to try it with a few nice thick ribeyes my wife and I cooked on Friday.
I mixed cornstarch and salt and rubbed the steaks down after patting the surface dry. Then off into the freezer for about a half hour while we made a bunch of veggie packs on the grill.
Turned out well. The steaks did get an incredible 'crust', but they did have a slightly saltier taste to them. But they were very flavorful and very juicy.

The absolutely BEST steaks I have ever eaten in restaurants OR on my grill came a few days ago when my grown children were visiting. My oldest son, a serious griller, prepared the steaks (1½" rib eyes) using the salt, cornstarch, and freezer method.

They were SO good that steaks will be prepared on my grill with this method from now on. I am SOLD!!

FWIW, American Test Kitchen does a really nice job...

Dale53

I don't think I would let them sit out for an hour regardless of whatever technique is used afterward, except reverse sear.

Now if you are doing two steaks, you are positioned to perform an impressive culinary experiment. Choose one technique for one steak and another for the other steak. I doubt either approach will produce an inedible steak, but rather one will be somewhat better than the other. All involved can sample each and contribute to deciding which technique is better.

It's like "Dinner and a Show".

Just a thought ...

-mike

I tried it tonight and it made for some very nice ribeyes. Perhaps my favorite so far. It got very crusty very quickly. I always salt a half hour before the grate anyway, so this method is easy to adopt so long as there's room in the freezer. I'd probably do the corn starch regardless. Loved that crust!

QgE7W.jpg

I tried a ghetto version of this by patting the steaks dry and putting sea salt on some cheap top sirloins and putting them in the freezer. when I took them out of the freezer, it was wet again on the surface. not caring to go farther, I grilled them anyways as is. are you guys patting dry after the freezer and re applying or does the corn starch keep them dry?

I tried this and it was inedible. Incredibly bitter and disgusting. Ended up throwing them away and ordering a pizza.

Test kitchen said to get your grill as hot as u can, all I can figure is my grill gets hotter than theirs cause I followed it exactly but used charcoal. But I will never put corn starch on another steak.

Originally posted by Chris Bjork:
are you guys patting dry after the freezer and re applying or does the corn starch keep them dry?

My ribeyes needed a slight pat dry after the freezer, but a subsequent filet did not. The cornstarch will greatly reduce surface moisture, I think. Don't reapply.

Originally posted by kaz S:
I tried this and it was inedible. Incredibly bitter and disgusting.

It sounds like you used too much cornstarch. How many steaks did you make with their recipe? It calls for 4, and they're probably talking big steaks. Just curious what you did because none of mine have turned out remotely bitter.

I did use 2 smaller but thick ribeyes and followed the recipe so if it was for four I must of used to much. Memory lacking on exact times and measurements but I know I grilled it directly over the coals with some mesquite chunks and they said to have it scorching hot so I had the lid off for most of it.

I like trying new things with steaks but this one set me back months worth of "grill-masterness" with the misses and still brings comments from her on how I can't make every meal a winner dinner.

Back