Salsa recipe

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
Ok, I need a basic salsa recipe. Only requirement is that it uses canned tomatoes. Anyone have a recipe that they enjoy? I cook lots of things, but can't make a good salsa and have given up.

When using canned tomatoes, I like to go the fire roasted route. Muir Glen is my preferred brand. This is a quick and easy recipe. Any chile pepper can be used; I like to roast my jalapenos in this recipe, but keep the Serranos raw.

Roasted Tomato Salsa

1 can of fire roasted tomatoes (I like Muir Glen 14.5 oz)
1 small yellow onion
1 raw jalapeno pepper
2 raw Serrano peppers
3 clove of fresh garlic
1/8 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
Dash of cider vinegar (optional)
Salt

Drain most of the liquid out of the tomatoes. Slice the onion into ½ inch slices and place on baking sheet along with peeled garlic and jalapenos. Place under broiler until a light char develops, flip onion and jalapenos to char other side. When jalapenos are cool to touch, remove stem and seeds. Remove veins if you want a milder salsa. Rough chop onion and jalapeno. Remove stem and seeds from Serrano peppers; again remove veins for milder salsa. Combine tomatoes, onion, peppers and garlic in food processor. Add a dash of vinegar (optional) and pulse until chunky. Taste and adjust with salt. Finely chop cilantro and mix in by hand. Taste again. Salsa will be better sitting over night, but is very good right away.

Here is my go to salsa recipe. Simple and very flavorful.

Mexican Salsa:
28 ounces canned chopped tomatoes, in juice
3 cloves garlic, peeled
Juice of 1 lime
1 handful cilantro leaves, whole
½ cup pickled jalapenos, or more
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ medium onion
3 fresh serrano peppers, optional

Pulse all ingredients in a food processor or blender until just chunky.

Thanks guys. I think I'll give John's a shot this weekend, along with another recipe I found online. Paul, your recipe looks like a winner. However, I don't love roasted salsa, despite liking just about everything else smoked.

Pat,

Why canned tomatoes?

This is how I do a basic, fresh salsa (it's probably more of a pico-de-gallo, but people like it):

About 6-8 medium-size on-vine tomatoes.
(These have thick flesh & less seeds, etc.)

1 Large, sweet onion, diced
2 Anaheim peppers - seeded & diced
1 small can chopped green chiles, drained
2 large cloved garlic, minced (run thru press)
1 fresh lime
1 bunch of fresh cilantro - pick the tops off, to remove stems & chop coarsely
Salt
Pepper

I start by cutting the tomatoes into wedges, and then scrape the goop & seeds out. Then, I dice 'em.

Add all the other stuff in a non-reactive bowl (plastic, glass, or ceramic - the acid in the tomatoes can react with metal & introduce unwanted flavors)

halve & squeeze the lime directly into the bowl. Add a little salt & pepper to taste
Add some hotter chiles if you like

Let it sit for a few hours, covered in the refrigerator, to let the flavors mingle.

Allow to come to near room-temp before serving.

Anyone done a smoked tomato/jalepeno salsa? My coworker actually made a smoked tomato pasta sauce and it was amazing

Originally posted by Johnny:
Anyone done a smoked tomato/jalepeno salsa? My coworker actually made a smoked tomato pasta sauce and it was amazing

Try roasting the tomatos, peppers (and onion and garlic, if you want to go all out) over a fire until the skins a re blackened. Put the peppers in a paper bag while you peel the tomato skins. When the tomatos are peeled and seeded, do the same to the peppers.

When I make my "fire roasted" salsa, I like it smooth, so I give all the ingredients a couple brief turns in the food processor. Not too much, though, or it turns pink.

Back