salmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Evers

TVWBB Fan
If I use the salmon cooking instructions on the site, will I necessairly have to refrigerate the salmon afterward? Or do I need to use some kind of curing agent? What kind of process do I use for the "smoked salmon" that you can buy at Trader Joe's for instance?
Larry

For that type of salmon you would brine the fillet first and then smoke at a relatively low temperature. I haven't been able to get the WSM to reliably maintain that low of a temp (140ish or 150ish).

A Little Chief or Big Chief smoker seems more suited towards making that type of salmon. Just did 40 or 50lbs of sockeye salmon in a couple of big chiefs on Sunday. Good stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Evers:
[qb]If I use the salmon cooking instructions on the site, will I necessairly have to refrigerate the salmon afterward?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes. The methods of cooking salmon described on this site do not preserve it, so refrigeration is necessary.

Regards,
Chris

Think you meant "is necessary".

Have a great X-mas, we are spreading the world of WSM's here in Eugene. Have assisted six newbies to the world of good smoked food and WSM's this year and it is growing. Local Q store is stocking brinkman charcoal pans now for us and I think they will start doing thermo add-on's for people soon. Then I can put away my hole punch and let someone else do it.

Larry,
Go to Chef2Chef.com and enter"smoking salmon"
in the recipe box. It will give lot of info about the total experience of smoking salmon. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back