Salmon - Serve Hot or Cold? (pic added)

Jason M. Park

TVWBB Super Fan
So I'm not cooking the main dish for my big neighborhood 4th of July party (their loss, right?) but I want to bring a killer smoked salmon (recipe here on TVWB) that will blow everyone away.

I'm debating on wether to time it so its ready when the party starts and serve it hot, or just start it early and get it done, then chill a few hours and bring it cold.

Also, what should I serve with it? I'm thinking of presenting it on a large platter surrounded with lemon wedges, capers, cream cheese and fancy crackers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason M. Park:
So I'm not cooking the main dish for my big neighborhood 4th of July party (their loss, right?) but I want to bring a killer smoked salmon (recipe here on TVWB) that will blow everyone away.

I'm debating on wether to time it so its ready when the party starts and serve it hot, or just start it early and get it done, then chill a few hours and bring it cold.

Also, what should I serve with it? I'm thinking of presenting it on a large platter surrounded with lemon wedges, capers, cream cheese and fancy crackers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> What recipe are you referring to? If you're talking about Cardogs salmon I'd serve it hot or not at all. IMO it's best hot off the WSM.

In general I think if you want to bring it cold smoke it until by feel it is firm through and through and should be fairly dry unless you are going for lox (sushi like cold smoked).

Plating: I think some green or red would be nice. Baby dill sprigs perhaps and cherry tomatoes.

Something I love for dry smoked salmon is brie, roasted garlic cloves and fancy crackers.

I'd go cold, sliced and plated with some crackers around a center dish of dill dip or dill cream cheese. Garnish with the lemon and capers.

I've done that recipe twice, both times with King, and had nothing but great results. In fact did a 3 lb. chunk of King on Father's Day. However, we've always served it warm. On the other hand the cold leftovers are always great as well, so I think you'd be safe serving it chilled.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin S.:
I'd go cold, sliced and plated with some crackers around a center dish of dill dip or dill cream cheese. Garnish with the lemon and capers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Kevin on this one especially if it's going to be an appetizer.

The one I do most often is described and shown here. We always have some hot out of the smoker but it is really designed to be served chilled or at room temp.

The pic shows a first course-sized serving. I do it differently for apps quite a bit, chilled. For this I cut romaine leaves crosswise into thirds or so, top with a small piece of salmon, a drizzle of the sauce, and a little dab of the slaw; a tiny piece of lemon zest garnishes the top. I build these on the platter wherever I am serving. Guests can pick up the romaine from both sides this way so no mess. They are sized as one- or two-bite apps and look nice on the platter and are easy to eat.

Thanks for the input, sounds like I'll be just fine with my original thought of serving cold.

For serving, I have this huge oval platter, I think it would be a great presentation to have a full sockeye fillet (it is Alaskan salmon season, you know) stretching across the whole width of it. I'll be sure to add my 'food ****' after the 4th!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What recipe are you referring to? If you're talking about Cardogs salmon I'd serve it hot or not at all. IMO it's best hot off the WSM.

In general I think if you want to bring it cold smoke it until by feel it is firm through and through and should be fairly dry unless you are going for lox (sushi like cold smoked). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Semi-apology here: I wasn't clear about my concern and pls don't take offence over personal preference.
icon_smile.gif

Context: there is 'just cooked' salmon minimally cooked and perhaps a little squishy inside, stereotypical smoked salmon (over cooked, fairly dry .. at least not juicy) and at the two extremes lox and salmon jerky.

Concern:

The party setting. Not sure of the format for your party. Is food consumed then put away or will it be left out to be picked at over many hours? In the first case I wouldn't worry about setting out cold 'just cooked' salmon. In the latter I would be concerned. Ambient temperature: 60ºF? 80Fº? 100ºF? I think setting out just cooked salmon in 80ºF for 6 hours would not be a good idea.

Consider setting your platter on a bed of ice if you expect it to be out and picked over for many hours. Another option would be brined and thoroughly cooked smoked salmon.

Preference:

There is something magic about 'just cooked' hot salmon (I get wild fresh sockeye in season). I lose interest in it once it gets cold. That is the other thing I meant by 'I'd serve it hot or not at all'. I'm not a fan of it cold but I will reheat it and eat it (with dampened enthusiasm). This has nothing to do with the Cardogs recipe.

At any rate, I hope your party and your dish is a huge hit!!

No apology necessary, you can't argue opinions.

My unabridged thought process is...

I have the day off, as will many of the party going guys, almost all live in the neighborhood. There are plans for some serious beer ‘sampling’ during the late morning/early afternoon. The term "Beer Olympics" has been tossed around. All of this is before the official "party" starts. If I wait until after that to cook and attempt to bring it hot, I'm afraid I may not be in the correct mindset to properly give attention to my dish.

Also if brought hot, it would quickly cool down to room temp, and be cold-ish anyway. If brought cold, it wouldn't warm up to room temps as quickly. (not sure why I'm thinking that way) Even at room temp, if the dish was intended to be cold, then room temp isn't that bad. I'm pretty sure all the appetizers & sides will be inside. From my food service training, I know the rule of thumb for leaving food out is 4 hours in the "temperature danger zone." (40 - 140 deg) Party starts at 4:30, so that gives people 4 hours to munch. I think that's enough. If there is a lull in eating, it can always be tossed in the fridge. If there was aset eating time, I’d bring it hot, but I’m sure people will be coming and going at will.

I do like the suggestion of having a bed of ice under it. I hadn't thought of that.

I made that recipe for dinner one night last week. I ate the leftovers for lunch served cold.

It was delicious both hot and cold.

Back